Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 9, 2005, 6:56 AM   #1

Hi guys.

I need some advice on which lens to buy with my 20d. I am taking my holiday in San Francisco and before I go I can only afford to buy one lens. I am primarily interested in taking architectural/ cityscape and landscape shots (I'm also visiting Yosemite national park).
Which lens would you guys recommend?
I am looking at the CANON EFS 17/85 4-5,6 IS USM lens or the CANON EF-S 10-22mm f/3,5-4,5 USM lens. Would the wide-angle lens be too restrictive for general use as the only lens on a trip or is this balanced by the spectacular shots that you can get with it? Also does anyone have any shots taken with this lens at both ends its range?

I'm fairly new to the word of DSLR's so any pointers would be appreciated

Ohh, lastly are these lenses cheaper to buy Stateside, compared to here in the UK?

:|
jonathan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:23 AM   #2

Hi,

Quote:
Would the wide-angle lens be too restrictive for general use as the only lens on a trip
I would say .. yes probably.

I've got 10-22 to use with my 20D (second camera.) I don't have the 17-85 as I already have other lensesfor this rangeprior to the 20D coming out. However I have used it. If you are going to buy just one lens at the moment I would recommend you get the 17-85. The 10-22 is wide and will be good for taking architectural/ cityscape and landscape shots. But the wide end of the 17-85 will not be bad also. Plus with its range and IS, its gonna really help you out walking around the city.

Oh, the 17-85 is going to be much more usable to you. Maybe your only going to realize this when you have them both. On this cameras crop factor, this lens is where most photographs get taken - generally anyway. Outside of this is when specific types of photography are taking place.

Something elseto think about. - The EF-S lenses will not work with a full frame camera now or future models. If you think you will hang on to the camera for a while fine. However if you ever upgrade or full frame camera production becomes cheaper in the future, you will not have any lenses to use.... opps. When you sell on your 20D you'll probably let go of you lenses to. So really your back to square 1 again.

Theres lots of different ideas about what will happen, but in truth no one really knows.

Anyway to answer your question from the two, If it was my situation as you, I'd buy the17-85 and enjoy it.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:32 AM   #3

I agree on the 17-85 lens choice.:!:
I'm agreeing too much today, better check what is in my coffee. :?

That 17-85 is listing at 599$us at BHphotovideo and 760$cdn here in Canada. I guess you could convert to UK pounds, but if bought here you may have warrantee issues if service is needed. :idea:

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:48 AM   #4

Definitely go for the 17-85. My experience is that it will handle 90% of your travel shots. (Skip the other 10% and rest your feet at the nearest Starbucks.)

--M
mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:23 AM   #5

Thanks for the info guys... It seems pretty unanimous that the 17-85 lens is the way to go If anyone has a pic taken with this lens at its widest setting that would be great. There is a thread on here a few posts down that shows some 10-22 photos taken in Phoenix which still makes me wonder though. Such great photos:?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:33 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I've got a bunch with the 17-85 at http://vanderwooks.blogspot.com

By widest setting I presume you mean the 17mm end of the zoom.

Here's a couple of direct links:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/219/3...vatory1024.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/219/3..._Framed800.jpg

And one at the 85mm zoom end:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/219/3...gon_Framed.jpg

Those are resized for web display of course, but there's lots of detail in the photos for A4 sized prints at 330dpi. I only have an R800 printer, but if you change the dpi down to 240 or so then you'll be almost at A3 without any uprezzing.

If you haven't already bought the camera, you can save £75 by buying the 20D with the 17-85 as a kit.

Canon EOS-20D plus
Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM £1299

from www.warehouseexpress.com

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:15 AM   #7

You might also consider buying the Tamron 1.4x teleconverter. This would give some additional length. Buy the less expensive version and it should cost about $70 (US).
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:24 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i am going to agree with everyone and give the 17-85 as my recommendation..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:48 PM   #9

peripatetic.. I really enjoyed looking at your beautiful images

I have now taken the plunge and purchased a d20 with both lenses

I would have gone with the 18/75 if I could only get one but decided that I would probably end up getting the 10/22 at a later date so decided to push the boat out and get both now. I'm really looking forward to using this camera on my trip.... should be a big step up from my old minolta f100:-)

Also peripatetic I was going to get the 20d from the link you suggested it seems to be the cheapest around but I found a seller on eBay who gave a good deal on the camera with both lenses + a card + a battery grip + some other parts

Thanks again guys:lol:
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:07 PM   #10
Super Moderator

jonathan1011 wrote:
Quote:
peripatetic.. I really enjoyed looking at your beautiful images

I have now taken the plunge and purchased a d20 with both lenses

I would have gone with the 18/75 if I could only get one but decided that I would probably end up getting the 10/22 at a later date so decided to push the boat out and get both now. I'm really looking forward to using this camera on my trip.... should be a big step up from my old minolta f100:-)

Also peripatetic I was going to get the 20d from the link you suggested it seems to be the cheapest around but I found a seller on eBay who gave a good deal on the camera with both lenses + a card + a battery grip + some other parts

Thanks again guys:lol:
Thanks for the kind comments :-)

Try to practise a bit before your holiday so you get a feel for the camera. On the other hand I got my 20D about 2 days before a 2-week holiday and had an absolute blast with it. Post some pics when you get back and have a great time.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote