Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:23 AM   #11
Super Moderator

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
You really love to dig out the cracks NHL . :blah:
Quote:
IS can help with the camera steadiness indoor at lower shutters, but if your subjects move then they'll still be blurry!
ok Agreed, however think of all the shots, during warm-up, the tension of the the starting line up, stern anxious faces in the crowd, the gun, and of course smiles on faces at the finish. Prizes and podiums and warm towels wrapped around tired shoulders, the list is endless. If all your shots are of the swimming its not going to cover the full story.. is it? And your going to be missing out on a large part of that experience and potential? Well at least this is my picture of the scenario, and I'm not even going.....:O

Photography is imagination.

:-)
I'd agree with all of that, and suggest that you're going to get very usable 1/125 and 1/250 shutter speeds with the IS, without the IS you will be losing some of those to camera shake. I would think that there might be a number of situations with swimming for example where 1/125 and 1/250 might give pretty decent actions shots (swimmers don't move that fast) even though you might not freeze the water droplets.

Lack of IS won't be catastrophic but I think it would certainly be useful, and panning mode for the wakeboard stuff might mean you get another bunch of usable shots that would be very hard when you're on a moving boat otherwise.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:33 PM   #12
Super Moderator

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I'd agree with all of that, and suggest that you're going to get very usable 1/125 and 1/250 shutter speeds with the IS, without the IS you will be losing some of those to camera shake. I would think that there might be a number of situations with swimming for example where 1/125 and 1/250 might give pretty decent actions shots (swimmers don't move that fast) even though you might not freeze the water droplets.

Lack of IS won't be catastrophic but I think it would certainly be useful, and panning mode for the wakeboard stuff might mean you get another bunch of usable shots that would be very hard when you're on a moving boat otherwise.
i agree.. get the IS if you can afford, but don't lose heart if its out of your reach..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote