Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:32 PM   #1

I have a D300 and need some advice on the best lens or combination of lenses (ideally just one) to accommodate two very different sports.

My kids swim competitively - lots of motion by the swimmer, indoor pools, not the best lighting, moving water affects focusand can't get really close physically to the action (20-100 feet away)....

We also waterski and wakeboard - outdoors, lots of sun/reflection, speed, and engine vibration/waves while trying to hold the camera steadyin the boat 50-75 feet from the action.

I want to get close enough to capture the water sheeting off the swimmer/stop the action in the poolorcapture a flip on thewakeboard withoutlosing the sharpness due camera shake in the boat bouncing over a wake

... Is there one Canon or 3rd party lens that can do this?

korourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 5:23 PM   #2

how much do you want to spend?

I think you should be looking at a few lens, maybe 70-200 f2.8 or f4, a Canon 100-300 USM or maybe even something like the 50-500 Sigma which is very versitile... I think you should also, if you do not own one, buy a monopod or tripod to hold these lens. In the Canon D30 (i assume this is what you have) a 300mm lens will become 480, so its good to use something to keep the camera still.

Since your doing sports which require quick focus look for a lens with the Canon USM, or the Sigma HSM.

Also, a lens with f2.8 will allow more light in, therefore allowing you to increase the shutter speed in low light. If you get something with f5.6, you may only be able to use 1/200 in low light, and this would propably not be sufficent for low light.

I hope that helps.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:58 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i would suspect that since you mention poor lighting that you are going to need a fast lens to get you the fast shutter speeds you need to stop the action of the indoor swimming..

my first thought was a 70-200 2.8.. with the 1.6x crop factor you get a useable equivelent of 320mm on the tele end and plenty of speed with a fast 2.8 aperature.. sigma makes a nice 70-200 2.8 ex with HSM (equivelent to canon usm) that would fit your bill quite well.. canon makes both an image stabilized and non-stabilized versions of this lens, but both will cost you some extra $..

sigma also makes a nice 120-300 2.8 ex hsm as well that will give you a little more reach on the tele end.. however this lens is considerably more expensive than its 70-200 breatheren..

best of luck to you, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:50 PM   #4

one thing to keep in mind when shooting from a boat is the sigma and canon 70-200mm are both pretty beefy lenses and will take some doing do keep them steady ripping across the lake at 40 or 50 mph. you may what to try a lighter lens saythe canonEF85mm f/1.8 for that job, it's a super nice lens for the money and should get you plenty close to the skier and on top of that it's super fast too.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:18 AM   #5

Thanks - I have the 85mm 1.8 already - it is a great lens - just had not had a chance to try it at the lake...
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:19 AM   #6

How would these compare to the Tokina 24-200 AT-X 242 AF?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:35 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Under conditions of:
1. Variable distance to subject.
2. Difficult lighting.
3. Water spray.
4. Moving camera.

I would suggest you go for a weather sealed zoom with Image Stabilizer.

Ideally the 70-200 f2.8 L IS, with 1.4x or 2x teleconverter. If that's too expensive then perhaps the 100-400 L and push up the ISO to get higher shutter speeds you may require.

If that's still too expensive then you will have to compromise somewhere. The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 + 1.4x TC or Sigma 100-300 f4 are probably a good compromise, they don't have IS but are fine lenses otherwise.

Stepping down again you might like to consider the Canon 75-300 IS or the Sigma 70-300 APO.

How do those lenses compare to the Tokina 24-200? Well if I may be permitted a car metaphor the L's are like high-end BMWs, the Sigmas like the same car but without the leather trim and Alpine stereo, the next two like a good mid-range saloon, and the Tokina is like a Toyota Corolla. It'll get you from A to B and it won't break the bank, but it's not in the same league.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:44 AM   #8

:O

Korouke,

As you seem to already realise, you've not got a lot tp play with under the conditions you want to shoot. So you know its going to be expensive. It would be good to have a 2.8 200mm for this. These are expensive enough maybe without talking about the 300 and 400 primes which are moving way up the price ladder. Anyway sounds like a zoom is going to be a better choice for the outdoor stuff. The IS is gonna help indoors. Well its all been said above.

Anyway look on the bright side if you do end up getting an expensiveSigma or Canon 2.8 zoom for this kind of shooting. You'll have it for life and also available for all other photography you make.

Cant be bad.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:34 AM   #9
NHL

korourke wrote:
Quote:
... Is there one Canon or 3rd party lens that can do this?
I agree with the DW-R which is nice, but can you tell? http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=22421

You're also shooting action shots (where the faster f/2.8 helps), but you'll need all the shutter speed you can afford to freeze theses actions - Once you're over the 1/focal lenght rule any IS is then redundant.
-> IS can help with the camera steadiness indoor at lower shutters, but if your subjects move then they'll still be blurry!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:03 AM   #10

You really love to dig out the cracks NHL . :blah:
Quote:
IS can help with the camera steadiness indoor at lower shutters, but if your subjects move then they'll still be blurry!
ok Agreed, however think of all the shots, during warm-up, the tension ofthe starting line up, stern anxious faces in the crowd, the gun, and of course smiles on faces at the finish.Prizes and podiums andwarm towels wrapped around tired shoulders, the list is endless. If all your shots are of the swimming its not going to cover the full story.. is it? And your going to be missing out on a large part of that experience and potential? Well at least this is my picture of the scenario, and I'm noteven going.....:O

Photography is imagination.

:-)

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote