Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1

I'm kinda poor, but want a zoom lens and this one is available at best buy, where I have a gift card. So my main question is, should I buy this lens, or just buy something else?

I have plenty of CF cards and other accessories, so a new lens is pretty much all they'd have that I need.

It would be for a Canon Rebel XT, used mostly for outdoor bird pic is good sun, and some indoor sports (basketball) in a very well lit auditorium.

Thanks in advance!
Luxowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:20 AM   #2

It will probably suit your needs ok. I borrowed and used my friend's copy for a couple days. It's not the highest optical quality out there...but, it does a prettygood job. I would recommend a tripod for use above 120 mm for sure, otherwise you're likely to see some camera shake.

Here's a whole slew of reviews on the lens and also a link to sample pics.

user reviews (read these with a grain of salt...I find that many people posting reviews on this site hold every lens up to the highest L lens when they compare them)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...=27&page=2

samples pics(keep clicking on the 'more' link to see more example shots from real users)
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_75300_4iii
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:42 AM   #3

Thanks!

and yes, i realize it won't be the end all be all lens... but i just want something decent to get me by until I can save up and aford something nicer.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4
Super Moderator

you would be better served with the sigma 70-300 macro super II APO.. can be had for a similar price ($175-200ish) and has the canon beat optically by a considerable margin.. actually this sigma is sharper than all of the canon teles not counting the L-series.. excellent bargain.. just make sure to get the APO version..

search the forumns here, you will find many posts concerning this lens..

best of luck to ya, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:47 PM   #5

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
you would be better served with the sigma 70-300 macro super II APO.. can be had for a similar price ($175-200ish) and has the canon beat optically by a considerable margin.. actually this sigma is sharper than all of the canon teles not counting the L-series.. excellent bargain.. just make sure to get the APO version..

search the forumns here, you will find many posts concerning this lens..

best of luck to ya, dustin

True, but I don't think Best Buy sells Sigma and it sounded like that was part of his limitation was having to purchase it at Best Buy.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 2:14 PM   #6
Super Moderator

good point, i missed that one..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 2:27 PM   #7

yeah, i know i could get a better one for the price, but damn it, i'm stuck with that option...and that is the ONLY option my local store has, and you can't use giftcards online.

Ah hell, I'm getting it... if that means it gets traded in for an upgrade 6 months down the line, so be it.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:50 PM   #8

You know, also if you get the lens and you're just not happy with it, you can always return it with 30 days or whatever the policy is.