Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:12 PM   #41

Why don't I just let it die? :blah:

Well, because I have not completely decided, and you all are so helpful.

Anyhow, I was seriously considering the 70-200 f2.8 and using a 2x TC when I needed it. It is completely subjective, but I liked the bokeh of the Canon lens compared to the Sigma as well. But what I have seen so far is that a 2x TC can seriously affect picture quality, where a 1.4x does not nearly as much.
I also have been finding that even indoors, I rarely use f2.8 because the focal length is so short it often blurs more of the subject than I would like and f4 seems to be enough to get what I am looking for and a decent background blur. For all I know it's my technique in error here, but either way I don't feel I need an f2.8 as badly as I did before.

That being said, if Canon offered a 100-300 f4 internal zoom lens I'd be all over it. Alas, they do not. As it stands, the Sigma 100-300 f4 with a 1.4x TC handy seems like it will cover the range I am looking for and for a pretty good price (except for the 82mm polarizer). I still have about a month to think about it, so who knows?

limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:29 PM   #42

Just looking at the options you are checking out I think you be happy with watever you decide. I am glad I chose the 100-300 f/4 sigma. Not a lot of money and man is it sharp and fast. But be careful when useing it indoors with the 1.4 TC, it likes to hunt a little. But if you lock on tosomething anduse servo mode on your camera it helps a lot. This lens in my second most favorite lens in my bag. The sigma 150mm micro has become mynew work horse. Man I love that lens. Happy shooting.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:42 PM   #43
Super Moderator

my take on it..

if you plan on doing some indoor work in low light.. the ability to take off the teleconverters and have a 2.8 will be very nice..

however, if you plan on doing most of your work outdoors and at the long end of the zoom or with teleconverters.. go with the slower and longer zooms.. teleconverters degrade image quality, there is no way around it... so if you are going to be using the 70-200 2.8 with the 2x tc on it, get a sigma 80-400 or a canon 100-400L.. if you are going to use it with the 1.4x tc on it most of the time get the sigma 100-300 f4.0..

use teleconverters only if necessary.. and choose your lens based on the range you expect to use it in most without a converter..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 6:37 PM   #44

Well, when I do need it indoors I will not likely need the 1.4xTC, so that helps.
When I need it outdoors I will probably have the TC on it. 200mm is just not enough either way, I have a 28-75 f2.8 that is great for standard indoor shooting, and I wouldn't need more than 300mm in closed situations, but outdoors, 300mm is my minimum. I didn't like the 100-400 very much, but I did give some thought to the 80-400. If I could afford it, I would just get the 120-300 f2.8, but at well over twice the price, I just can't justify the need yet.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:36 AM   #45
Super Moderator

what i did was this.. and this may help..

i have a 28-70 2.8 for indoors for now.. and i can get by w/ that most of the time..

so i got the 80-400 OS because its summer and i shoot alot outdoors..

i am plannin on gettin the 70-200 2.8 sometime this fall/winter to be ready for some indoor event stuff...

that way i will have the BEST for each situation.. and i went sigma both ways because it gave me more for my money, and allows me to get two lenses.. whereas a canon 100-400 and canon 70-200 2.8 would make it cost prohibited.. i can honestly say that right now i could not be more happy with my decision to go sigma..

hopefully that thought process helps in some small way..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:48 PM   #46

Finally! I decided to go with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM.
I am very pleased with this lens, it works very well with the 2x DG TC also :-)
I really wish Sigma would make an OS version of this lens, that would be amazing.
Thanks for all your help!