Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:35 PM   #1

Well I got my Canon 100mm micro this morning and I have had a few hours to use it. I must say this is a really good lense. It is a lot faster than the Sigma 105 micro. But only away from your subject. When you ( move in for the kill ) on your subject its not much better than the Sigma. Slow focus and lots of hunting. Not as much as the Sigma but its still there. Picture Quality is excelent. Very sharp and when the focus is on the mark its great. I guess I am going to have to live with the realization that manual focus is going to be my best friend in microphotograpy. I did not get my extension tubes yet. Hope they will be here soon. But now I have a new delima. I just got some extra cash this weekend ( side job ) and I am pondering sending this lense back and getting the Sigma 150 micro. I know I can use my 1.4x tele with this lense without a converter and its HSM. Decisions decisions. If anyone out there has any personal experiencewith the Sigma 150 micro I would love to hear about it. There is not a lot of reviews on the performance of this lense that I can find.

So the question is: Keep the Canon 100mm micro and use extension tubes and my 1.4x tele or spend a little more and get the 150 Sigma and use my 1.4x tele.

This is my last lense for a while. Who knew it would be just ashard of a decision as my tele zoom.

Thanks again guys.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:44 PM   #2

It sounds like you shoot live animals that can run away? Not flowers or jewlry or rocks?

If so, the 150 work you better for the extra reach.

I've generally heard good things about the 150, but I haven't tried it myself. Sigma has improved their lens quality over the last 3 years (or so) and this is one of their newer lenses.

It is also quite slow with AF, but the DOF is so shallow with macro work you almost always do better with manual. I know some people who do lots of macro and they looked at me funny when I said I was thinking about the Canon 180 macro partially 'cause the faster AF... they basically never use AF. You often have to get it just right in ways that only you can.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:58 PM   #3

Shooting mainly animals such as butterflies and dragon flies and the occasional spider or two is what I will be useing this for. Sometimes flowers but not always. I shot the Sigma 105 down really bad but after I used this Canon 100mm I realized that the Sigma is just as good close up. The Canon would blow it out of the water as a portrait lense cause its so much faster the further back you get from your subject. But just strictly as a micro they are both just as equal. Giving a margin to Canon for AF. But if the Sigma 150mm would be a better choice, especialy with my 1.4x tele I think that would be the way to go. But I want to see some photos and some sharpness comparisons between the 100 Canon, the 105Sigma and the 150 Sigma first. If the 150 Sigma is just as good then I am going to return the Canon.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:32 AM   #4
NHL

arowana wrote:
Quote:
So the question is: Keep the Canon 100mm micro and use extension tubes and my 1.4x tele or spend a little more and get the 150 Sigma and use my 1.4x tele.
This is all up to you really - but since you already questioned yourself I'm afraid this will probably be your 2nd Canon lens that you return for a better value with Sigma... :-)

The built of the 150mm EX is top notch in quality, and comes with a tripod collar. IMO it's like a miniaturized 180mm in feel, plus you already know the consequence of a 1.4x teleconverter:
1. A lens with TC can never be equal one without
2. You'll lose 1 stop - might even affect AF more on a macro
3. Does it even fit or through an extender only which might affect far distances?
Like I've posted before: There's no such thing as a 'bad' macro lens (any brand)!!! :idea:

... here's some independent samples from the 150mm EX anyway:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=71632
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/236678
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=32379
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:24 PM   #5

Wow. Thanks for the links NHL. Wish I had these a few days ago. I shipped my Canon lense back this afternoon and ordered the 150 Sigma. I saw where you can use the 1.4x tele with only a slight loss in AF performance but not image quality. And I can still use the Kenco extension tubes I ordered. Man this is going to be a sweet micro setup I think. Thanks again.