Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:18 PM   #1

I'm sure some of you are interested in a superwide for your DSLR. Based on feedback from various websites I purchased the Tokina AF 12-24 today ($499.00 not including tax). I quickly fired off some shots of various items. What I learned:

1. This is a solid lens, fast focusing, and very well built.

2. My first few shots were not sharp! I was worried. Then I noticed that you have to be careful or the shutterspeed will drop below 1/125. This is 4.0 constant lens but keeping the lens above 1/125 was a problem for me. Once I became aware of it my shots improved.

3. Lens flarer and purple fringing can be a problem at mid-day.

The attached pic is at 1/250, 12mm, f10, ISO100. I'd post more pics if I could figure out the system!

My question is, is this a keeper? I won't know until I shoot a little more today. The Canon lens is $300 more, and for that kind of money it had better be a whole lot better!
Attached Images

Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:21 PM   #2

are you saying that some of these lenses perform better on a faster shutter speed? if so how come? Help me learn because I have had similar experiences and dont understand why it more sharp and a faster Tv
1texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:14 PM   #3

Actually I meant that I can not hand hold very well below 1/125. Movement will cause the pictures to be unsharp. For most people, anything below slower than 1/125 is difficult to handhold and get a sharp picture. Slower than 1/125 usea tripod. Some people with practise and skill can get sharp pictures, I can't.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Super Moderator

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...;page_number=1

bottom line- if you are using an APS-sized sensor and plan to for the foreseeable future, you cannot go wrong with this lens..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:07 AM   #5

I'm stillexperimenting with this lens. I really like the wide field of view. It has received good reviews and other than the POPPhoto review I read positivemini-review in the April 05 Issue of Outdoor Its great tostand in the corner of aroom and capture almost the entire room.I'm fascinated bybeing able to stand next to a multistory building and see the entire building.
Attached Images

Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:07 AM   #6

One more:
Attached Images