Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:35 PM   #1

Hi:

Well after alot of research and thinking, I just bought the Sigma AF 50-500/4-6.3 APO EX RF HSM F/CANON (86MM) lense. Should get it the next two days and i'm looking forward to using it. I have borrowed my friends Sigma 70-200 2.8 lense so i know theres a heavy factor invloved. I have a nice mono pod i used when i borrowed his lense and i know i'll need it here for sure. My sons in sports so i should be able to use this lense primarily outside and my other lenses inside. It's a nice piece of glass and i'm hoping to enjoy this lense alot. I have a Canon 20d and usally shoot in the TV mode for sports. I currently use the Canon70-200 ef f/4 "L" series lense and this lacrosse picture was taken with that lense.

Attached Images

jcarboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:11 AM   #2

The Bigma is a fantastic lens both optically and in terms of build. You will love the HSM and "feel" of it; it's rock solid. It's at its best in sufficient lighting and stopped down only 1 stop. The reach is more like 470mm but who's counting. The monopod will come in handy, although you will find that when you have plenty of light, you won't need it at all. It is a bit heavier than the 70-200EX also. Anyway enjoy the lens and you can see some test shots here: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/3telezooms
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:24 PM   #3

I forgot to look at the date of your post, but if your model is not the DG model (optimised for digital), I would promptly return it and get the DG which just very recently was released. I have been very impressed with both the DG and non-DG versions, but the previous poster is correct. One stop short of full open, adequate light, good tripod needed at the long end, and stay away from the smaller apetures also. Lots of great photography will be yours if you follow those guidelines.

Ward
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4

Does Bigma 50-500 got OS (canon IS)sometime sooner?
Luff Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:10 PM   #5
Super Moderator

no, but the sigma 80-400 OS does have image stab... i recently purchased one and every indication so far makes it look to bea winner.. be sure to check it out..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:23 PM   #6

OS is nice, but, you might want to check out a few threads like this one with the new 50 - 500 DG lens, first.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14030243
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:08 PM   #7
Super Moderator

IMO you can't go wrong either way.. the 80-400's OS allows me to handold at 400 mm at 1/125 consistantly and i love the colors and sharpness... the 50-500 is probably sharper, and the HSM is a godsend if you do alot of action.. but its hard to handhold.. you will need to evaluate your needs and then pick the one that best suits your individual needs/wants..

BTW- nice link Ward..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote