Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:52 PM   #1

ok i have done some searching and of course i have seen every living test there is to see about them all,

I have found the tests to be rather techy and not really real world. aberations soft points balh blah blah.

Now i have seen and talked to photographers and all will opt for the L series IF it is paid for by employers.

The independent photo guys swear over the tokina and feel the price is right.

The thought is this. H jpeg is great and workable for mag or stock photo, but if you shoot in RAW the lense is 100% with minor if any PS work.

IM looking to purchase the lens in Dallas Ft worth locally from any photo shop. (i like to feed the stores here becuse it hard to find cam shops staying in business and most will offer cost plus 10 and i feel its fair)

What is you real world shooting expierience?

Im shooting indoor cheerleading and sunset/sunrise portraits...outdoors

ANy commetn or suggestion
1texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:04 AM   #2

You don't mention what model. Every "major" manufacturer makes a few good lenses. Every manufacturer has some dogs. Sigma makes some great EX lenses and some aren't very good at all. Tokina makes a good WA zoom but I don't think their lineup matches up well with Canon's L or Sigma's EX lineup or even some of Tamron's lenses.

In prime lenses, I don't think Tokina comes close to the Tamron SP 90 f2.8 or Canon's 85 f1.8 or 100 f2 lenses. Don't know what kind of lighting conditions exist for the indoor cheerleading but the f1.8 or f2 lenses seem like the best route. No zoom is faster than f2.8 and that requires really good light (for an indoor setting).
ttmatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:26 AM   #3

I don't know what your looking for either since you don't mention any lenses. ttmatsu is probably right, its hard to compare third party lenses to the manufacturers top lenses. I have two Canon L lenses and they are definitely extremely well built and they are worth the money.I also have a Tokina ATX 12-24 Proand a Tamron 28-75 Di. I'll be darned if I can really tell any real difference in images. Obviously IMO when I compare the Tokina Pro model and my Canon 17-40L the Canon wins but it was almost twice the price.Yet, after reading reviews and looking at sample pictures the Tokina 12-24 does very nicely compared to most Canons and in some reviews itbeats the Canon EFS 10-22 (at half the price). Advice, think about what you need to accomplish your task, read the reviews and definitely take a look at sample pictures. As one reviewer put it, better to be taking pictures with an inferior lens than none at all!
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:11 PM   #4

well your right on every count both of you, Im looking at all glass in general Indoor cheerleading is very well lit stages but from a distance.

I guess im comparing the 70/80-200mmf2.8

Now i used to be a nikon dork but left them to the 20D.

Iam borrowing a friends tokina f2.8 and am testing it as we speak

The one thing i have found is that my skills in photography can be sharpened way before i reach the limits of the lenses in most cases.

So this time in digital i have decided to go with prime lenses form all the manufacturers rather then just standard plastic lenses from canon. I have destroyed plastic lenses easily

so with that being said i have narrowed my purchases to only CanonL/SigmaEX/Tokinaaatxpro.

OK now the budget and real world experience

OK i can drop 5k in lenses and access. over the next 1-2 months. I am including a new computer to handle the raw img the 20D makes so now my budget is around 3k now. I purchased the sigma ex 24-70 f2.8 next move is a 200mm zoom after that will be a 10/12-24,,f2.8

I really cant justify much over 800-900 for a 200 prime I just DO NOT see Canon L glass performs in any category better then the sigma and will tell you all later about the tokina (i can say the focus is a little slow and will test it wednesday night and sat AM)

The tokina 80-200 is sharper zoomed and at f6 for subject at 25feet now with the 200mm thats nealry macro territory so i must wait to see what 2.8 200mm will do from afar with moving subject doing gymnastic routines. We will see.........

Tell your thoughts after readin gmy above mentioned dribble.

Im really in to guns and when i started in guns Class three weapons etc I always paid for the latest and greatest but found that even the best scopes and triggers never did as much for me as practice and experience. And when i did get very good at sniping or long distance shooting i could never justify the expense in the supposed BEST products......and found many manufacturers of scopes and triggers do the same thing its just different paint or small things i would never wear out......

It seems it the same here in DSLRs and the lenses
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:11 PM   #5

double tap oops!
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:18 AM   #6
NHL

1texan wrote:
Quote:
I guess im comparing the 70/80-200mmf2.8

I believe the Sigma might be worth the extra cost over the Tokina in the 70-200 range, just because of the HSM autofocus mechanism (ditto withUSM)- Most folks will point out that this ultrasonic drive is faster for some action shots and very silent in operation (as compared to the gearings in other AF systems) - You'll also find that without the associated gearing the HSM also allows for a full-time manual focus overide of the AF whichcomes inquite handy at time

A member here fstopjojo didsome excellent comparisons already:
http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/70200s
http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/3telezooms
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:34 PM   #7

wow the sigma really performs well.....I wonder how the tokina matchs up