Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1

I've decided to buy a Canon 20D body and am now considering which lens I'll need. I'll be taking a lot of pictures of my kids basketball teams (indoors) and was told on the whcih camera to buy forum I'll need an extremely fast lens (<2.8). I can't seem to locate any Canon zoom lens that fast, only fixed length (135mm f2.8). Can anyone suggest what lens(es) I'll need to get pictures in a low light gym? My Nikon 5000, which takes fairlydecent pictures in good lighting, made the kids look like they had hepatitis playing at night. Thanks in advance for any help.............
WCOWBOY80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:28 AM   #2

If you can afford it, the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS. If not, the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX. However, you might want to go the prime route for indoors, something like the 85 f1.8 or the 135 f2, both excellent.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:47 PM   #3

As far as I know, prime lenses are the only type to have aperture greater than 2.8 .
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:58 PM   #4

Canon doesn't make any zoom lens faster than 2.8 as far as I know. Something to consider, for fast moving subjects you will need a lens that focuses quickly and can stay with your subject. The USM lenses I know focus quickly but I hear good things about the Sigma's HSM lenses also. Shoot Raw, and try bumping up your ISO. The 20D actually takesuseable ISO 1600 pics as long as you are not enlarging to 13x19.You might want to consider a lens with Image Stablization. As always budget is a consideration. Good Luck.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:25 PM   #5

I've used my 50 f/1.4 lens for indoor basketball. I also have a 70-200 f2.8 IS and it also works good, but sometimes is not bright enough.
MitchInOmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:03 PM   #6

the 50mm f/1.4 or even the cheaper f/1.8 are a good choice, I've use mine for indoor gymnastics with real good results. I also have the 85mm f/1.8 which does equally as well. I have the Sigma 70-200mm also. I find myself in most gyms switching between lenses, sometimes the 50 is notclose enough and sometimes the 85 istoo close.

It also sounds like there may have be a problem with white balance with the Nikon, and you could get the same problem with the 20D if you have that set wrong. Some lights in gyms are pretty tricky, mercury vapor, tungsten, fluorsecent, or a combination of two or three. sometimes auto white balance works the best in thes situations, may be the cure for thehepatitis. The basketball court itself in a lot of gyms has a very yellow cast to it.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:14 PM   #7
NHL

The lighting in the gym changes color with the line frequency (60Hz) :idea:

->With the camera higher shutter speed you are capturing this light at a random spectrum hence the varying color regardless of the white balance:http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=14624
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:45 PM   #8

NHL, I knew you would know a lot more about that than me.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote