Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:28 AM   #1

I got this lens from somebody at a cheap price, but I found its IS part
is strange. When I focus and move the lens slightly, the IS lens follows
to my new location very slowly in 1/5 of a second(at least there is IS in
the lens).

When I shoot at 1/2, 1/3, 1/5 sec after sunset, there were no improvements
compared to IS off. Both cases pictures were out of shape. There were not
any sound or vibration inside the lens (on EF300F4L-IS, I was aware there
are stuff vibrate fiercely inside). Is my ER28-135 in working condition or faulty?

Sample pictures (IS version) were taken a tower two kilometers away.
F5.6, 135mm, 0.8s.

:?

Attached Images

KyoceraM400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:29 AM   #2

Tower without IS, IS turned off with handhold.
F5.6, 135mm, 1.0s.
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:42 AM   #3

I am new to DSLR though, maybe I neglected something but the lens is
so easy to operate.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:40 AM   #4
NHL

It looks like it's working to me...

-> you really need a tripod for this slow (i.e. you're pushing your luck with almost 1s), or crank up the ISO instead.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:01 AM   #5

Thank you NHL. I was aware that in EF300F4L-IS, there are mechanisms that
vibrates inside the lens, so I am expecting the same with this lens. Somebody
who has used this EF 28-135 F3.5-5.6 USM IS could tell whether my expectation
is true. :idea: I was aware that the IS of Canon is about moving the lens to counter
act shaking.

Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:14 AM   #6
NHL

There's a mechanism inside the EF 28-135 F3.5-5.6 USM IS and you can definitely hear and feel it as well
... but the best indication is the viewfinder orienting itself after a "forced" shake
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 6:53 PM   #7

Yeah, if the moving part is small so one can not feel it. Anyway,
anybody with experience on this lens can be of great help. :?
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:07 PM   #8
Super Moderator

lock yourself in a quiet room.. focus it once with the IS off.. then again with the IS on.. you will hear a very slight vibrating sound and can feel it if you really concentrate.. but as NHL said, a forced shake is your best indicator..

btw- according to your pictures, it appears to be working fine.. remember that it is merely a tool to help counteract shake, it cannot hold an image perfectly sharp when your shutter speeds approach 1s..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:15 AM   #9

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
lock yourself in a quiet room.. focus it once with the IS off.. then again with the IS on.. you will hear a very slight vibrating sound and can feel it if you really concentrate.. but as NHL said, a forced shake is your best indicator..

btw- according to your pictures, it appears to be working fine.. remember that it is merely a tool to help counteract shake, it cannot hold an image perfectly sharp when your shutter speeds approach 1s..
Thank you Hards80.
Is that your experience with a good EF 28-135 that the noise and vibration is so tiny?
I used to think hand-shaking is tens of hertz, so expecting something like a motor running
inside the lens:idea:.
I saw a picture took at 1/2s with a fishing boat at night, the picture was as good as those
taken with tripod. My hands are quite steadt, but pictures at 1/8, 1/5, 1/2...etc all were blurry. I am so confused now.

Quote:
HTML Code:
http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/pic106.htm

Photo by Peter Kun Frary ‚ÄĘ Canon EOS A2, EF 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS USM, Sensia 100, Canon FS4000US Scanner
The evening afterglow provides an electric blue backdrop for the pier and Japanese fishing boat moored at Aloha Tower Market Place. The dark storm clouds add an ominous air to the otherwise tanquil scene. It was too dark to hand hold my camera with slow slide film and zoom, but this scene was too endearing to refuse. I sat down, braced my elbows on my knees and nailed a pretty dad burn sharp image for a half second exposure wide open in Av mode ([email protected]). Of course, the IS (image stabilization) helped steady the rig. I used a burst from the popup flash to fill the dark foreground (-2 flash AE comp).
Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:40 AM   #10

I can hardly feel / hear IS on my piece... but I know it works. It is not ment to be noisy and not even shake violently as you might expect. Yes, it moves ony a small piece of glass inside the lens.¬*I have some experience with this lens and I know that taking hand held pictures at full telephoto at 1/8 s is beyond its capabilities. The minimum safe shutter speed is around 1/10 at wide angle and 1/40 at full telephoto (at least with my shaky hands).Also with the magnification koeficient 1.6 (digital rebel or 20D) 135mm means 216mm (35mm equiv.)¬*and that is a decent telephoto...Turn IS off when shooting on tripod and be sure to use either remote¬* control or selftimer to prevent shaking the camera with your hands.¬*
maros is offline   Reply With Quote