Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:26 PM   #1

I have a Canon Rebel XT with Tamron 27-85mm f2.8 lense. I love this lense.But I need a wide angle lense. I picked up a Canon 10-22mm yesterday from a local store. I did some comparison and so far the pictures are not as sharp as I expected them to be. Not as sharp as the Tamron and the color is also nicer on the Tamron. I need to do some more experiments to before I know for sure.

Anyway, I have heard and read good things about the Tokina 12-24mm. I bought the lense from a local store and have 7 days to return it. I need to know more about the Tokina to decide. I know that the Canon is at least $250 more expensive. But that is not a problem, having the best lense is more important to me.

I like to know if there is anybody that has experience with these lenses that can help me make the right decision.

Thank-you much.
PebbleBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:51 PM   #2

I've been thinking about the tokina 12-24mm myself. I have read some reviews, Popular Photography gave it rave reviews, and judging its optical puality to be "unsurpassed." I'm not so sure about the unsurpassed part. What I like is the constant f/4 maximum aperture, and I seem to have this need for speed. I wish I had some experience with this lens to tell you more but will have to wait to hear from others. So far I have not read any bad reviews though.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:50 PM   #3

Caboose,

I took some more pictures with the Canon 10-22mm again today and it is not bad at all. Nothing for me to complaint about. But there is nothing to be excited about either. The wide angle aspect of it is cool. But that is to be expected. I don't buy lenses very often and want to make the right decision.

The Tokina is not easy to find. I live in Beaverton, Oregon and I don't think any of the stores carry Tokina lenses. I have seen some pictures on the web taken by both canon and tokina and the ones taken from tokina are very, very sharp.

Again, thank-you Caboose. Another question, I picked up a B+W UV filter for the lense. They are pretty expensive ($80). Do you know if they are good? I used Tiffen in the past. They are not as spendy.

Old Jul 9, 2005, 7:07 AM   #4

As far as I know the B&W filters are very good quality filters. A couple of sources for the Tokina lens you might try. bhphotovideo.com and tristatecamera.com I've purchased several items from these places, they are both out of New York.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:05 AM   #5

The Tokina is a great lens. I bought it several months ago and have been very happy with it. I like the constant F4.0. The reviews on the Canon are also very good but I couldn't justify the cost. Sigma now has a 10-20 and its HSM. Pop Foto just reviewedthe Tamron 11-18 mm and says its pretty muchequal to the Tokina. What it means is that all these lenses are fairly equal and you might just decide on price and features. The Sigma is HSM and Canon is USM. I'm happy with my purchase but the extra 2mm on the wide side for the Sigma would be nice. The Tokina is extremely well built.

You'll have to decide on what personal preference. Good Luck!
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:47 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the tokina is probably the sharpest of the bunch.. and the build quality is probably the best as well.. the tamron handles the distortion best, but its a very small range of focal lengths.. the canon is the best compromise in sharpness and range, but its also the most expensive..

the tokina would be my choice.. but you could make an argument for any..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:00 PM   #7

Thanks to Ctrack and Hards80 for the input.

I decided to keep the Canon and I am very happy with it. I found it to be very sharp, the color is very nice and it is light weight. I wasn't comfortable buying a lense that I can' t check it out in person,the Tokina is not easy to find.

Thank-you again.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:20 PM   #8

I was able to find it in only one store in Dallas. I'm sure that there are other stores but after calling several stores I had my doubts. They are all good lenses. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Canon.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 2:17 PM   #9

I bought the Canon 10-22 2 weeks ago for a couple of reasons:

1) Size/Weight
2) Good reviews
3) Dell had a decent sale, and I paid about $650 for it.

The lens meets my objectives, but it certainly isn't a match for, say, the 70-200mm f2.8, but it has a more difficult mission.

Still expensive, but its my "tourist stuff" lens. What I mean is that when I travel, you typically want a wide angle lens to capture buildings, tourist stuff, landscapes. The lens is equivalent to a 20-35mm which is a great range for tourist stuff, and the 22mm is still usable for taking pictures of people.

There is no perfect lens.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:57 PM   #10

I've been considering some non-Canon third party lenses recently that will work with my 10D like this Tokina 12-24, but right now all that's being put on hold until I hear something official from Canon in the next few weeks about a possible new 24x36mm (full frame) digital SLR at a price of possibly around $3,400.

Not that I could afford one of those right now, but think about this- the D30, introduced only about 4 years ago, was priced at $3,000, and we all know today what a 20D sells for. Should this come to fruition all my thoughts on "digital Only" lenses (including ANY Canon EFS lens for use on my Digital Rebel) will come to an abrupt halt.

Digital SLR bodies are bought today knowing, in all liklihood, you'll be looking to replace it before it physically stops working for you. Lenses though are another story. If I pay $500-$800 (or more) for a lens, I expect it to work with what I'm using today, 5 years from today or even longer. In my mind, if there is a camera this year with the specs mentioned above at that price, I feel like that may very well be something I can afford within the next 5 years or so, making my 17-40L very happy, also making any "digital only" lens completely obsolete.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote