Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 9, 2005, 1:01 AM   #1

I am looking to purchase a 75-300mm Canon Lens for my Rebel. However, in a topic I posted a few days ago it came up that many people prefered the Sigma. I guess I was primarily just wondering if anyone else has any input. Also if I do go with the Sigma, should I get a Canon (brand of my camera) or a Sigma (brand of my lens) teleconverter? I guess I'm just wondering because I never really even thought about Sigma before. I am looking to spend about $200-$225 so I cannot get a "pro" or "EX" series lens. Thanks in advance for the input!

www.natimage.com
j_riederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2005, 1:55 AM   #2

The Sigma 70-300 APO (red ring) lens is a very good lens; it also gives you a nice 1:2 magnification ratio for some nice close ups. That said, I wouldn't recommend using any TC on this kind of lens.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 6:53 AM   #3
NHL

This is what the 'APO' stand for: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...rration_01.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:01 AM   #4

I have the Sigma APO 70-300 F4-5.6 Super Macro II and really like it for the price.I am going to the Yankees old timers game amd regular game to day and will be testing it(more my own skill levels,which arent that good anyway lol).I have liked it so far because of the reach it gives me,480mm.U havent heard anything good about any 75-300 canon except for the IS 1.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:39 AM   #5

Quote:
I have the Sigma APO 70-300 F4-5.6 Super Macro II and really like it for the price.
I just bought the same lens and really like it! I love the macro mode and its not that heavy. Make sure you get the APO though!
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:51 PM   #6

In the under $200 70-300mm range, the Sigma APO Macro Super II is still king. Watch out, though, and don't accidentally get the DL, which is inferior.

Also be aware that the outer barrel turns when this lens focuses, so polarizers are problematic. You have to focus first and then adjust the polarizer. The turning barrel also makes Cokin system filters somewhat difficult.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:38 PM   #7

I am also looking to replace an older non canon 70-300 lens because it doesnt work on my new rebel xt. I was looking at going all canon but found on another post (and this one), people mentioning the sigma super II. I price checked it and think I have made my mind up to get it. My only reservation right now is, is it fully compatable with the camera? No problems? My other lens just comes up with the err 99 code (non-canon lens) and have been told it's because the lens is outdated (~6yrs old).

Before I spend the $$, I want to make sure it's not going to give me problems.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:00 PM   #8

Might as well get the APO DG version. It just came out and is $200 brand new on ebay. It's just an updated version of the APO Macro II. Works perfectly fine on my RebelXT.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:18 PM   #9

I hope noone thinks I'm post robbing but I've been doing some price shopping for the DG lens. (just trying to do some leg....er....fingerwork for everyone).

I've read the red ring is a good thing but one of these had red and the other is gold. Both are the DG lens. Whats the difference?

http://www.adorama.com/SG70300DAEOS....&item_no=4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I like the sleeker, less bulky look of the one from B&H but if the red ring is that much better......

Hope this helps someone elses decision process also....
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:54 PM   #10

I have the one with the Red ring. But I bought mine from B&H. I am not sure if that is just the wrong picture or if it is a different one. I would recomend the red one.
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote