Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:34 PM   #11
Super Moderator

I have no experience of either lens, and I certainly wouldn't want the 35L on a 1.6 crop, on a full-frame yes, but ~>55mm seems like a very odd focal length to spend £1000 on to me.

But really folks - does anyone actually think those comparisons prove anything at all? They're posted as if one can simply look at them and make a pronouncement on relative quality.

What a load of rubbish.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 6:45 PM   #12

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I have no experience of either lens, and I certainly wouldn't want the 35L on a 1.6 crop, on a full-frame yes, but ~>55mm seems like a very odd focal length to spend £1000 on to me.
In fact, 55mm is not an odd focal length at all. 50-55mm, on a standard full frame 35mm camera, is a normal lens. Before the days of inexpensive wide to tele zooms, the 50mm was the standard lens for Canon and Nikon. As I recall, Minolta, and maybe Leica,used 55mm.This focal lengthalso has an angle of view and perspective that approximates what you see with your eyes (or I should say eye, since you see in stereo).

A normal lens on a 1.6 crop factor camera is the 31-35mm range. So the surprise shouldn't be that there is interest in a fast 35mm or 30mm lens, but rather that it has taken this long for interest to develop.

For the first six months I owned an SLR, my only lens was a 50mm F1.4. It's amazing how much you can learn about photography when you don't worry about changing lenses or which focal length to use. There is a lot to be said for photography with a normal lens--and even more so with a fast normal lens.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:51 AM   #13
Super Moderator

I don't think 50mm is "normal" on 35mm film, it just happens to be the cheapest to manufacture which is why most cameras got one in the old days.

And btw there are NO 50mm L lenses from Canon - why not? Because it's an odd focal length to be spending £1000 on i.m.o.

Perhaps I use my peripheral vision too much, but for me (and I believe most street and documentary photographers) the 35-40mm range is "normal" - if you keep both eyes open while looking through the viewfinder it seems much closer to "normal" than a 50 or 55mm.

Which is why the 35mm Leica lenses are by far the most popular focal length for their M series cameras.

Quote:
There is a lot to be said for photography with a normal lens--and even more so with a fast normal lens.
I couldn't agree more.

Actually I nearly bought a the 24L (~>38mm ) for my 20D but in the end I decided it was too expensive and got the 28mm f1.8 instead which is nice, but I would prefer it a little wider.

The 28 f1.8 now lives on my camera about 60% of the time and has replaced my 17-85 as my main snapshot lens. I still hanker after the 24L though. And if Leica ever do manage to find a sensor that they could use to build a digital rangefinder I'm going to have to take out a loan. :-)

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:18 AM   #14
NHL

peripatetic wrote:

Quote:
And btw there are NO 50mm L lenses from Canon - why not? Because it's an odd focal length to be spending £1000 on i.m.o.
Actually Canon had an EF 50 f/1.0 L - It was discontinued ... oh may be 3 years ago not because it costs $1000, but you're quite correct $3000 is a lot to spend on a not so sharp of a lens (... but for candlelight it'll a be fantastic lens)
http://tihlde.org/~chrisnes/lenses.html

You can still find them on the used market... and some photos with it here:
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=22409
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote