Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 10, 2005, 3:40 PM   #1

I have a digital rebel and would like to purchase a new lenses. Canon is the only lenses that is truly digital. How does the Canon digital lenses compare to the Sigma non digital lens? I would really love the 28-300 so that I could take 1 lenses on vacation but I am not sure I would get the quality of pictures I want. We are going to Alaksa and I want great pics.
rfholcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:10 AM   #2
NHL

rfholcom wrote:
Quote:
Canon is the only lenses that is truly digital... I would really love the 28-300...
What about theses?
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=6

DC = 'Digital' in Sigma nomenclature...

There's a trade-off though, the higher the zoom ratio - the lower the picture quality! :O

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:57 PM   #3

rfholcom wrote:
Quote:
I have a digital rebel and would like to purchase a new lenses. Canon is the only lenses that is truly digital. How does the Canon digital lenses compare to the Sigma non digital lens? I would really love the 28-300 so that I could take 1 lenses on vacation but I am not sure I would get the quality of pictures I want. We are going to Alaksa and I want great pics.
Lots of companies are making "digital" lenses, but this only means that they were designed with a smaller sensor in mind. There are many lenses that aren't "designed for digital" that would be great for your trip.

The Canon EF-S (small sensor) series of lenses are generally very high quality, probably better than most Sigma lenses, but not all of them. It really just comes down to how much money you are willing to spend, and really understanding what each manufacturer offers...

For example, the Canon 24-70L lens produces excellent, excellent quality, but costs $1200. Tamron and Sigma make similar lenses that nearly match the quality of the Canon images, for 1/3 the price.

The 28-300 Canon lens is a very good lens, but it weighs almost 4 pounds and costs over $2000. If you're willing to carry that much weight around and spend that much money, then there are some other nice options.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:10 PM   #4
Super Moderator

if portability is a concern... you may look into a combination of a normal zoom say a 17-85 IS and the new 70-300 DO IS.. both are quite small and light and would be easier to carry around than the big white 28-300 IS...

that said, if 1 lens only is paramount.. the 28-300L IS is capable of some real nice results, and the thing is built like a tank.. but as said before, at quite a price..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:22 PM   #5
NHL

It should be noted in general though that a 'digital' lens is easier (should be less costly too) to make than a regular EF lens - They also tend to be sharper in general according to the MTF curves

... almost everything that the 4/3 format try to sell us like the higher contrast and almost the 90 degree incident angle instead of from the side, like some larger glasses! :sad:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote