Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:42 PM   #11
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a couple of lenses last week in Minolta AF mount
Nothing wrong with that, especially when everyone is dumping -> Might prove out to be a smart move!

Make sure to look for the 80-200 f/2.8 G if you can find one. This is the best 70-200 f/2.8 on the planet[PERIOD]

(Of-course no one can afford their 'SSM' version)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 3:33 PM   #12
Super Moderator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
That Minolta 7D looks better and better everyday... :G :lol: :-) !!!
Reviews seem unanimous that:
1. Ergonomics are awesome.
2. IS in the body is brilliant.

Picture quality is about average - so perfectly acceptable.

2 major problems:
1. Dodgy AF -> magazine reviews and a number of threads on this and other forums are very worrying, some reviews have rated it as significantly worse than cameras costing only half as much. In fact it generally gets marked as just about the worst performing AF on any of the current DSLRs regardless of price.
2. Distinct lack of wide-angle Minolta lenses.

[Edit] - I see that there is a new 17-35mm f2.8-4, which sounds pretty good with the in-camera IS, and of course there are now a number of ~10-20mm 3rd-party zooms that would fit, so I guess it's fair to scratch problem #2.

[Edit #2] And I see that the price has halved since launch - from being more than the 20D to not much more than the XT! OK - it IS looking better and better.

I'll be looking at their 2nd digital camera with great interest, for now though I'll stick with my 20D.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:27 PM   #13
Administrator

Let's nothijack this thread, since the original poster is looking for a lens for his Rebel XT. ;-)

I started a new thread hereto continue the 7D discussion:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:03 AM   #14

thanks all. you gave me some good ideas. that sigma lens is sounding pretty sexy, and the test shots just prove how much it's worth it to stretch my budget to be able to afford it.

what would you say is the 2nd runner up to the new sigma?

:?
barnesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:45 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Think carefully about what focal length you want.

For "documentary" style photographs using ambient light the most popular focal length in a 35mm camera is in the 35mm - 50mm range.

With the 1.6 crop that translates to 21mm - 31mm.

I assume you want f2 or better.

Sigma do a range of 3 f1.8 lenses at 21, 24, 28mm but reports suggest that the AF motor is very slow and noisy.

There is the Canon 35mm f2, but it's a bit outside the ideal focal length range IMO, and the AF motor is slow and noisy.

The best choice by far would be the Canon 24mm L f1.4, but it's way out of your price range.

Which leaves 2:
1. Sigma 30mm f1.4 HSM.
2. Canon EF 28mm f1.8 USM.

I bought the EF 28mm f1.8 a couple of months ago because I couldn't wait for the Sigma - but I think I might have gone for the slightly wider angle anyway.

I have no experience of the Sigma but the EF 28mm f1.8 comes highly recommended.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:26 AM   #16
NHL

Some more f/1.8 option here: http://etischer.com/300d/sigma20mm.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:54 AM   #17
Super Moderator

My mistake - I said 21,24,28 - it should have been 20,24,28.

The reason I rejected these lenses is that I wanted it for a snapshot lens - where in low-light you can lift the camera and take a fast picture. These lenses, although good enough optically have received low ratings in terms of their motor - it's noisy and slow, and was therefore unsuitable for my purposes - and I suspect for barnesqaured too.

If fast AF is not important then I think they seem to be optically good for a much lower price than anything else - I would think the 24mm ideal.

It's probably also worth mentioning that If you can get by with f2.8 the Canon EF 28mm f2.8 is reviewed as having simply wonderful optics.