Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:45 PM   #1

hi all,

what type of lens would be suitable for shooting in extremely lowlight conditions? I have a digital rebel xt with the kit lens. I will be shooting mainly indoors in bars and club venues (for a nightlife newsletter in the Bay Area, CA). I need something fast that is able to capture a good amount of ambient light.

the only catch is, I don't have a large budget since I am still starting out. I wanna keep it under $300, the lower the better of course, without sacrificing quality.

How's the 50mm f1.8? any other suggestions?

thanks for your help guys
barnesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:47 PM   #2

canon ef 50mm usm 1.4

or ef 35mm usm 1.4

both great for indoors.
mugen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:17 AM   #3
Super Moderator

canon 85mm 1.2... or 200mm 1.8...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:18 AM   #4
Super Moderator

sorry.. didnt read the budget part.. 50 1.4 then..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:55 AM   #5

barnesquared wrote:
Quote:
hi all,

what type of lens would be suitable for shooting in extremely lowlight conditions? I have a digital rebel xt with the kit lens. I will be shooting mainly indoors in bars and club venues (for a nightlife newsletter in the Bay Area, CA). I need something fast that is able to capture a good amount of ambient light.

the only catch is, I don't have a large budget since I am still starting out. I wanna keep it under $300, the lower the better of course, without sacrificing quality.

thanks for your help guys
Quote:
$300 is tight but you might want to look at the Sigma 20 f1.8 ($330) or the Canon 35 f2 ($230), or if you can stretch, definitely the new Sigma 30 f1.4 ($400). Sigma also makes some good f1.8 primes that are 24mm and 28mm, both under your budget. Crank up your ISO on your XT and use some NR s/w in P-P.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:08 AM   #6
NHL

barnesquared wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like you need at least f/1.4 (f/1.2 or f/1.0 would be even nicer)
http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleedawson/dcnotes/tables.htm
EV-5 candlelit f/1.4 requires 1/15s -> you need to go up to ISO-400 to handhold a '50mm' @ 1/60s :idea:
... it also depends if your subjects move/focal lenght which might need even more boost in ISO!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:44 AM   #7

On the Digital Rebel your going to need more that 1/60 s with the 50 mm, or you will be taking home a lot of disappointing shots.

I've used the 50 1.4 inside dimly lit clubs with some success. However I was limited by the focal length. I would have preferred something wider. The 50 is good for getting in a bit closer though and portrait.
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Administrator

If you can stretch your budget a little bit (to around $450), you may want to consider the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM

It looks like it would make a pretty good lens for this purpose, and has HSM (Sigma's Hypersonic Motor, which is similar to USM), as well as a full time manual focus override feature. Note that this is a DC (for Digital Cameras) lens, so it won't work on a 35mm SLR (it's designed for the smaller image circle of a sensor with a crop factor).

One of our forum members (fstopjojo) was kind enough to post some image comparisions with a Canon35mm f/2 (and you can see that he mentioned this lens in his earlier post in this thread, too).

See this forum thread for the link to tests:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

It just recently started shipping in EF mount, so vendors with it in stock are still pretty scarce... I did notice that B&H has it in stock at $449 now:

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EXDC HSM at B&H

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:19 AM   #9
NHL

That Minolta 7D looks better and better everyday... :G :lol: :-) !!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:22 AM   #10
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
That Minolta 7D looks better and better everyday... :G :lol: :-) !!!
It's on my short list now. :-)

Heck, I just bought a couple of lenses last week in Minolta AF mount -- just in case I go that route. But, I'm still undecided at this point (I'm in no hurry). If I go a different route (Canon, Nikon,Pentax, etc.), I'll just sellthem on Ebay (the price was right for my lens purchases, so I could not resist nibbling).

BTW, B&H had a price drop on the 7D yesterday. I'm hoping other vendors will follow (after all, the rebate ended at the end of June for it).

But, we're hijacking this thread (and I'm a moderator so I should know better). So, lets keep it to the OP's needs. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote