Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:51 AM   #11
NHL

DigitalDad wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if the hood works for both the wide angle and telephoto focal lengths?
The short answer is - The shape is optimized for the wide angle. You can 'tape' up the side and notice no difference at the long, in fact BoYFrMSpC is correct the lens can use a longer more effective circular hood at the long :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:04 AM   #12

Heres a decent explanation of why lens hoods are designed the way they are:

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:40 AM   #13
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Heres a decent explanation of why lens hoods are designed the way they are:

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html
- That link was very informative: " From figures 5 and 6 it appears that the optimum length of a lens hood depends on the aperture..."
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:50 AM   #14

Keep in mind that the Canon 17-85 is an EFs lens, thus optimized for digital. Using film type lenses on digital you must apply the crop factor before any problems would occur. For this same reason I use 77mm filters on some of my 83 and 86mm lens. Shooting film in such a senario would of course clip the corners. If you want to see this in action, wrap your hood with construction paper and see how far you can extend it before it interferes with your shot.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:10 AM   #15

The manufacturers hoods are usually very well designed for their lens, but always a compromise when used on a zoom.

You can always switch and use a modular hood system where you can add/subtract hood segments to match the actual focal length you are trying to use.

Cokin makes a very inexpensive modular hood system, I think their P series will work on most average lenses up to about 77mm filter diameter. X-pro series if your lenses have a bigger filter size.

You buy an adapter ring for each lens filter size, a filter holder and a set of hood extensions.
The filter holder will also let you use the Cokin, Lee, and Shing Ray rectangular filters

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:38 PM   #16

jacks & NHL, thank you for your informative responses as usual.

Lboy, you remind me of that lonely 7th grade bully that didn't know any other way to get attention but to poke fun at other people. Funny thing is, though, I saw thatguy at our 10 year reunion, and he had grown up. He seemed to be a decent, civil guy. You could learn a thing or two from him I'll bet, you used to have a lot in common.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:43 AM   #17

Chris,

thanks for the theropy... hahaha,

But I see your American, and we Brits have a different sense of humour. (Just like we have amore subtlelevel of vocal speech, there aremore than afew differences) So don't read to much in to nothing.

I think the lads in the office here might disagree with the lonely bully persona though. I've seen a few of then doubled over with laughterwith the responses on this site. And considering I know two of the well know forum names here and that you haven't yet worked out the whole things a parody, I would determine it would be rather hard for you to discern between any good and bad advice supplied here.

Take care.

my first free shrink consultation .. cheers.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:43 AM   #18

LBoy wrote,

" And considering I know two of the well know forum names here and that you haven't yet worked out the whole things a parody,"

Is this English? Were you drunk when you wrote this? I can see that when you wrote "your", you meant "you're", and when you wrote "theropy", you meant "therapy", and when you wrote "to" you meant "too", but the sentence above is beyond interpretation. You'll have to clarify to make your point...
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:29 AM   #19

Yip,

Thats why I don't write for this newspaper, I just take the stupid photographs.

Really is that the best you can do... ? hahahahaha

Well done, nowI've worked out how well you punctuate and therefore how intelligent you are, I'll just run away and hide......:?:?:?

Oh I don't thinks so (opps theres another).

Can you add anything constructive to the post, for instance something to do with the subject ? Because I'm not at all interested in anotherdebate about my manners.

Take care. And once again thanks for the English lesson.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:49 AM   #20

chris,

your comments seem only to have been entered to provoke further response. Its really unnecessary. lets not have another of these dumb conversations. No one should have to worry about their punctuation here anyway.

does anyone know firstly why my 17-85 EFS lens did not come supplied with a lens hood, and secondly where and how much I can get one. I could not get one at my local store and eventually bought a rubber one. Which I then had to cut into the petal shape, once it screwed into position on the front. It worked quite well, however when I use a filter the hood no longer sits in the correct position because it now screws into this thread and takes up a new position.This would not happen if I had the hood withthe bayonet method. Jee what a waste of money.

oh and one more question a little off topic - does anyone have a lot of white specks on the inside of this lens.
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote