Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:24 AM   #1

I need some advise for a good mid range lens. I was going to purchase a 20d kit with the 17/85 IS Lens, mainly to get the lens and it seemed cheaper to go ahead and upgrade my Rebel to a 20d while I was at it. I really like the feel and the controls of the 20d and could use the extra MP and speed. But now I'm thinking of making the rebel work for a little while longer and getting a good lens for it.

I'm using its kit lens, the 18-55. It's not a real good lens but has worked. I also have a 300mm zoom that I carried over from my film rebel.

What I want isa good, fast lens that will work very well with outdoor, urban shooting in tough lighting conditions. I shoot a lot of city skyline shots, nightime city shots, sidewalk shots, architectural shots etc. But I still want to be able to shoot people etc as well.

The 17-85 range is about right.

Thanks in advance for any help.
KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:31 AM   #2

The 17-85 IS USM is a great lens. I've had mine now for several weeks and while I wasn't sure about it at first, I love it now. Crisp images, no CA, very fast focus.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:02 AM   #3

If you're going to really set your heart for a faster lens, you will be hard pressed to find any with the similar focal length to cover wide and tele. But, some choices are

Sigma 24-70 /2.8 EX (the lastest version- I think it says MACRO)
Tamron 28-75 /2.8
EF 24-70 /2.8L ($$$)

Both the sigma and tamron lenses are cheaper than the EF 17-85
And if you're going to ask, there's no incredible difference in optical quality among those three options - at least not really enough to justify why the EF lens is hundreds more than its competitors. I try to look in an optimistic PoV...

EF's advantages:

-USM
--FTM
-Build very very nice with weatherseal
-looks nicer (imo)

But even with these...

Some wider options

Sigma 15-30 or 12-24 (I don't think theses are very fast, though)
EF 16-35 /2.8 ($$$)

I think I remember someone suggesting the tamron (or was it tokina?) 12-24 as well.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:47 AM   #4

I didn't realize the EF-S 17-85 was weathersealed...another plus! Where did you see that? Just curious.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:47 AM   #5
NHL

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
Sigma 15-30 or 12-24 (I don't think theses are very fast, though)
EF 16-35 /2.8 ($$$)

I think I remember someone suggesting the tamron (or was it tokina?) 12-24 as well.
The Sigma 17-35 EX is f/2.8-4 @ a very affordable price:

BTW its 12-24 EX also comes with a front filter thread adapter/lens cap (for APS-c) that works very well with the same size polarizer as other Sigma's (82mm)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:50 AM   #6
NHL

G35Guy wrote:
Quote:
I didn't realize the EF-S 17-85 was weathersealed...another plus! Where did you see that? Just curious.
Don't try it - It's guaranteed to leak BoYFrMSpC was refering to the EF 24-70 f/2.8 L (not the EF-S) :-)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:21 PM   #7
Super Moderator

for the telezooms.. i am going to agree with what has already been posted.. a nice 24-70 2.8 and/or 17-35/16-35 2.8/2.8-4.0 would be great.. my preference is toward the sigma's over the tamrons.. but that is just a preference... the canon's sure are nice too, but above my budget..

since you mention alot of tough lighting situations.. i am going to go a different route and suggest a couple primes.. for example

sigma 30mm f1.4 + canon 50mm 1.4 + canon 85mm 1.8

or if you need a lil more range..

sigma 20mm f1.8/canon 20mm f2.8 + canon 50mm f1.4 +canon 100mm f2.0

just another option that gives you more speed.. but of course adds some weight..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:21 PM   #8

Well, I have read through reviews so much that I am now just confusing myself. I am thinking of just getting the 17-85IS. It seems like too much lens for a rebel 6.3 MP camera. I'm just having a hard time justifying the 20D kit.

$600 for a pretty nice lens that I can use for most of my shooting or $2000 for a 20D and the lens.

Does anybody use this lens on a Rebel (the first DRebel) and has anybody used this lens with a film rebel? (I'm not even sure you can).

I just think I should try to make the rebel work till the next thing comes out. The 20D has been out for a while now right.

But at the same time, I want to be able to produce 20x30 or larger prints and I don't think my drebel can do it. Should I just spend the money on a 20D or not????

This is driving me nuts. :roll:

KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:33 PM   #9

It will not work on film cameras, only on the EF-S mount cams. I use it on the RebelXT and love it.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:32 AM   #10

I was also in that dilemma to be able to make large print sizes, so that's why I was holding off on getting a rebel. And then I was lucky enough to hold off until march when the XT was announced.

The Rebel XT has 8 mp and the image quality between it and the 20D is pretty small. Most of the image quality comes out of the lens.

One thing that I noticed from peoples' pictures is that upgrading to an mid to high end camera grants you a lot more creative control and abilities than a low end dSLR (I.E. faster, more AF points, etc etc), while only slightly improving image quality- if it does at all. Heck, I've seen fantasic images from a P & S, but they'll have a tough time trying to blur out a background.

And when it comes to performance to cost ratio, a lot of people say the XT is a better deal. But seeing that you already have the first rebel, I can understand you might want to make a significant leap in performance, even though the XT has a lot of advantages on its own.

I was reading an article here called the "megapixel race". At arms length distance from a picture, you can print a 13 x 20 picture with a 6 mp camera (150 dpi). Here's the link for other numbers, you can just scroll down until you see a chart.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...July_2004.html

Also note it's going to be extremely hard to make a 300 dpi print of the same picture, you need at least a 23mp camera!

I'm not sure if you can print a 20 x 30 with even 8mp (unless you're going to make sure no one gets close to the picture). I think that's left for the high end cameras. So upgrading just for those 2 mp doesn't really help you. I think you may be better off waiting for the next mid camera, where you'll feel a lot better in making a huge performance jump.

But until then, you should still be worried about what lens to get...:shock: if you have your heart set on large prints, you're going to have to make every pixel count!
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote