Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:24 PM   #1

Is it better to have a f2.8 lens or IS?I am looking into getting either the Sigma 24-70 2.8 (or the 28-70 2.8) or the 28-135 Canon IS.They are all around the same price so that doesnt matter.Looking for sharpness and I do shake a bit so I wasnt sure if the faster lens would help that.

Thanks for any help

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:43 PM   #2

I would think a lot of people shake when hand holding a camera.

I would also think that you should ask yourself if you're planning to take a lot of action shots. If yes, then your only real option is a faster lens. Or a tripod... But I don't really like tripods...

If you don't think you'll take a lot of action shots, then I might be as stuck as you. One thing I would consider is that if you go with IS you'll have larger DOF instead of using f/2.8 . Another thing to note is that the 28-135 has a lot more range than the faster lenses.

I would personally go for the faster lens because (ignoring the fact that I prefer no-flash photography) it sort of makes the IS redundant, even when it means a shallow DOF. Plus, it's there for any action shots (i.e. an indoor party). Another thing I noticed (from some people) is that if you use an IS lens, you may get so use to using slower-than-needed shutter speeds that you may become frustrated with your other lenses that don't have IS. That's just a guess, though... But IMO, I think IS is most useful on tele ends, because of that reciprocal shutter speed rule. Having a shutter speed of 1/500 may not always be possible, but the focal length on the lenses you're looking at are very do-able (ie, 1 / 70 is a pretty reasonable shutter speed)

another thing you can try to hope for is that in the future, canon models will have IS in the body like Minolta does with their cameras. *keeps fingers crossed
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:28 PM   #3
NHL

The argument goes both way as to what is 'better'

IMO shallow DOF is a nice feature to have, it helps the photographer isolates his subject from the blurry background - you can always create more DOF by closing a lens down, but you can not have less DOF by opening a lens up! You can also rest the camera in static shots and use the camera timer... so a tripod is not always required - Plus of course you always have the higher shutter speeds for that action shots

The 28-135 is quite sharp (I have one), but then an f/2.8 lens can be quite sharp too when it's also closed down to f/5.6 - A slower IS lens is also a lot lighter, but then it is really a compromise to recoup the lost in brightness by being smaller: An f/2.8 is 4x as bright as an f/5.6 and since the aperture is actually a ratio of the focal lenght lens over its diameter, an f/2.8 lens is also much bigger (and heavier)
-> you're getting much more glass (I guess you're getting more electronics in IS) for the same price - Some folks prefer more glass whereas others might embrace the electronics and travel with the lighter gear! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:28 AM   #4
NHL

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
another thing you can try to hope for is that in the future, canon models will have IS in the body like Minolta does with their cameras. *keeps fingers crossed
Well here another affordable one: http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/km...xxum5d_pr.html

:-)
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:19 AM   #5
Super Moderator

that should make things more interesting... kudos to you KM
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:26 PM   #6

IMO, after a month of using the 17-85 IS on the 20D, I am amazed by how great a walk-around combo this is. The IS, plus the 20D's great high-ISO performance, more than make up for the smaller max. aperture of the lens. When needed, I can get an extra 2 stops by pushing the ISO up to 400, and the IS gives me another 2-3 stops. That makes for a potent combo, IMO. As noted, the biggest disadvantage is the inability to get a very shallow DOF, but I don't miss it much for most of my shooting. For portraits, I switch to the 50 1.8 II.

gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:45 PM   #7
NHL

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
that should make things more interesting... kudos to you KM
Just my 2c !!!

KM is on to something... Can you imagine the combination of an f/1.4 with an IS in the camera?
... especially for a Co. reknown to emphasize "bokeh' in their lenses :idea:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05071502km35mm14.asp

Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:37 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i know that this canon user would pick up a KM as a second system just for kicks if i run into the money to do so!!

thats saying alot since i have been with canon since 1991..
Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:21 AM   #9
NHL

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
thats saying alot since i have been with canon since 1991..
Ditto here and my first Canon was the FTb when they were in the midst of switching from FL to the FD... :-)

IMO they clearly have Nikon in their crosshair - see the models numbering scheme? :idea:
I don't believe KM is after the 'diehard' since as a group theses folks are too stuck up with the big names and usually have their favorite brand blinder on. I think they are after the 1st (dSLR) timers, people with the Panasonics or their super size zooms in need of an affordable upgrade: Imagine a 50-500 with an IS in the body combo costing less than some lenses alone...
Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:05 PM   #10
Super Moderator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
I don't believe KM is after the 'diehard' since as a group theses folks are too stuck up with the big names and usually have their favorite brand blinder on.
hence the reason to releas the 5d vs the rumored 9d.. good move, easier to sway first timers..
Quote:
I think they are after the 1st (dSLR) timers, people with the Panasonics or their super size zooms in need of an affordable upgrade:
i was just saying today to someone in my local forum that the superzoom crowd better watch out.. they thought i was crazy.. glad someone agrees..

Quote:
Imagine a 50-500 with an IS in the body combo costing less than some lense
i can imagine.... how awesome... but since sigma doesn't put HSM in their minolta mount lenses.. the advantages over my 80-400 on my canon pretty much disappear...

and i have been meaning to ask that.. why no HSM on minolta's?