Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:29 PM   #1

I'm gonna get a 1.4X teleconverter. But I need info on the different brands. Where can I readevaluations and reviewsof what's out there? Thanks.

tfb37
tfb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2

Which lens will you be using the TC on? The lens is the most important factor in this equation. That said, the cheap/black/4-element Tamron 1.4xTC is very good, IMO the best bang for buck 1.4xTC. Otherwise, I'd recommend the Tamron or Kenko 1.4xTC "Pro/DG" versions. These are slightly better but also cost more. See my site for some test shots (with 2xTCs also), as well as this other thread:

my site: www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/lenstests

and also...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=41922
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:27 PM   #3

I'll second the nomination of the Tamron standard--not Pro--extender. It lacks the electrical connection to "talk" to the camera, so it will usually allow AF even when it shouldn't. Of course, you won't get the modified focal length and aperture reported correctly, so if that is important you'll have to look to the Pro version or Sigma or Canon--or keep notes.

BTW, don't expect miracles. The lens you put it on makes a big difference, and the resulting images will never be as good as without. I've used it on a Canon 100-400 with good results and on a Sigma 50-500mm also. If you are trying to turn a short lens into a long one, though, expect disappointment.

Canon's 1.4xII and 2xII extenders are the best. However, they only work on certain L-series lenses. And since they are fully integrated, you will get the altered F-stop and focal length in your EXIF--and the truth will be told to your camera, too. So if the modified maximum aperture (F4 becomes F5.6, F5.6 becomes F8, etc.) is smaller than F5.6, you'll lose autofocus on your 10D/20D/300D/350D camera. The Canon 1.4xII on a 100-400LIS at 400mm becomes 560mm F8, and AF shuts down. I've tried the taping over the extra pins to keep AF, but even then the AF is unreliable with much "hunting" and frequent focus lock at the wrong place. Interestingly, the Tamron allows much more reliable AF on the 100-400 than the Canon with taped pins. The quality is not as good, however.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:23 AM   #4

I'll be using the Canon 70-200 f4 L. Would like to see some pix made with various 1.4 - 1.5X TCs.

fstopjojo, On your site I didn't see what the cheap Tamron 1.4x could do.

Thanks,

tfb37
tfb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:49 AM   #5

tfb37 wrote:
Quote:
I'll be using the Canon 70-200 f4 L. Would like to see some pix made with various 1.4 - 1.5X TCs.

fstopjojo, On your site I didn't see what the cheap Tamron 1.4x could do.

Thanks,

tfb37
The cheap/black/4-element Tamron is arguably the best bang for buck 1.4xTC out there. You need to stop down at least 1 stop, but it's good when you do. For example, see this: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/image/45390033/original
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:55 AM   #6

Hi,

Shot taken with the 70-200 L lens and 1.4x converter.

This was my first effort.. I was quite happy.

sorry forgot to say it was a canon converter. i think it was worth the extra cash.

Attached Images

vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:02 PM   #7

Just type in the type teleconverter lens you are considering in google or yahoo, it will take you to places to buy but also give you reviews as well or places to find reviews, I just bought the new Canon S2 IS camera a month ago and the 1.5 teleconverter from canon and love it, at full zoom it takes as sharp and clear photos as without it, just give me more distant shots, use it for birding.

peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote