Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:22 PM   #1

I have the Cannon Rebel and would finally like to upgrade the

lens to a zoom lens but one that I can use all the time. What would you recommend

and where is the best place to find one.

Thanks so much

CC
cc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:48 PM   #2

It depends a lot on what you want to spend...

In the 500-600 range is the Canon 17-85 IS USM

In the 300-400 range is the Sigma or Tamron18-200 lenses, the Sigma is better, though

Then there are a few 28-200/300 lenses out there, as well.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:50 PM   #3

Ready for this answer?

It depends.

You need to be more specific about what you want to use the lens for. There really is no 'magic bullet' lens - it all depends on what you need. What lens are you currently using? What is it about the lens that you find limiting? Do you just want more reach? Are you planning on shooting sports or wildlife with it? Basically, back to the original question I asked - what do you want to use the lens for - and be specific. If you say 'all around' what is more important - wide angle or longest focal length. How 'fast' does the lens need to be (i.e. do you want to do a lot of indoor non/flash photography).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:55 PM   #4

Ok here goes my reply. I have only the original lens that came with the camera. I mainly take pictues of my daughter and her friends, the crazy dog we have and her inside doing gymnastics. I also do take a lot of photo's outdoors. What I feel I am lagging is the zoom..doesn't zoom in enough for me so I am always having to crazy editing pictures.

Sorry new all this so hopefully I provide some more info then before. I appreciate the help.

CC
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:15 PM   #5
Super Moderator

you may consider the sigma 18-125... this is a nice walkabout lens.. and while it doesn't have quite the reach of the 18-200s, it is quite a bit sharper and more contrasty.. the reason for this is that the optical quality tends to go down with increasing the multiplication factor.. so the 18-125 is a 6x zoom, while the 18-200 is a 11x zoom.. harder to make a sharp lens with that much focal length coverage..

you also may consider canon's 28-135 IS... the image stabilization makes sharp pics in low light easier... and its quite sharp.. i have one and use it a ton.. approx 400USD..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:31 PM   #6

I bought the Sigma 18-125 after reading so many positive reviews praising it for being a great and inexpensive walk-around lens. I've been fairly happy with it. Unless you need more range, it seems like it would be a decent option.
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:20 PM   #7

Thank you. I will check it out.

Did you buy it on line?

Thanks again,

CC