Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:58 PM   #1

My mistake,sorry.I thought it was a between the two but then I saw that the sigma had 1:1 and a closer focusing distance.But I am wondering if the sigma is also a good portrait lens,also?

Thanks

Charlie

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

which canon and which sigma??
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:36 PM   #3

Well, since you mentioned that, I'd assume you were looking at the canon ef 50mm 1:2 macro- and I'd also assume you were comparing it with the sigma 50mm macro. You can get the second attachment that would make the canon 1:1, but (imo) would be too much in comparison to the sigma.

Actually, I was thinking along the same line- hit two birds with one lens that would cover macro and portraits. Granted, one focal length isn't ideal for ALL types of portraits, but (again, imo) I'd prefer the 50-85mm on the 1.6x bodies where they cover the shoulder to head photography.. But on a 50mm, you can just step back ~5m (i think) to get a body shot... Okay if you're outdoors but may be trouble indoors.

I would of liked to get the 50 1.4 for portraits, but almost everyone says you only get sharp images at f/2 or f/2.8. Why bother paying for the extra aperture then? "Just incase"? Nah.

I was looking at the EF-s 60mm because 1. it's a different focal length than the lens kit, even if it's only a little 2. relatively fast for low light indoors . My MAIN reason, though (since a lot of macro lenses are fast and can be different from the kit lens) is because of the USM and FTM... For about 100$ more CAN, I could get that over the sigma 50mm.

what pisses me off is the lens hood. That's one expensive accessory!. grr.

I was looking at the sigma first until i saw that their only HSM macros were 150 and 180mm.

Anyway!!!! so long as you're not taking body shots, I think 50mm is an ideal focal length for portraits. I don't think you should worry about quality, since (as NHL points out) there is no bad macro lens. I think the sigma's nice, if you can live with no HSM.

And I also think there's a DG and non DG unit of the sigma 50 macro, so that might be something to be careful of.

The only problem I would worry about is how close you have to be to the subject. I would imagine insects to be unwilling subjects if you invade their space...
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:38 AM   #4
Super Moderator

i would get a longer macro... to give you some working distance from your subject, especially if they spook, like butterflies and bugs.. vivitar makes a 100mm macro that is pretty darn good for 150USD..

with the left over money buy a nice portrait lens.. say a 85 1.8 or 50 1.4 or if you really want to be cheap, the 50 1.8 works pretty well..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5

thanks guys I erased the size I wanted,and yes it was the 50mm.I went with the sigma because ir is 1:1 and I can get as close as 8".I should have said I wanted to be able to get as close as I could like I did with my OLY 3040,but as far as I know you cant with a DSLR.Thanks for the info and will post some pics soon.Oh and I take pics of diecast and othe small collectible things.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote