Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:05 AM   #1

I know this isa decision I have to make, but I'd still like some opinions.

I bought the Sigma 70-300 APO DG lens just about a week or so ago for $200. I have an opportunity to buy a brand new Canon 70-200mm f/4L lens for $500 using a coupon combined with a sale going on.

Would you sell the Sigma on ebay and buy the Canon?

Pros of the Canon are of course focus speed, it's faster at extended focal lengths, much better optically, inner focus mechanism., weather sealed(?).

Pros of the Sigma are the extra 100 mm, macro mode for closer focus distance and not having to spend the extra $300.

Given that I'm an amatuer and don't plan on ever trying tomake money from photography, what would you do?
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:02 PM   #2

The important question: Will you get an additional $300 of happiness out of the lens? If yes, then I'd say go for it.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:12 PM   #3

That's what I'm trying to gleen from other people's responses added to my own liking of the USM and great optics.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:26 PM   #4

Yes, sorry for the glib answer. I'm trying to figure out the same thing in my request (ef 17-40mm f4.0L). Same place, same coupons. Its a great price.

You know I bought the 2.8 version of this lens about 2-3 weeks ago, and I'm really really pleased with it except for the weight. The lens you're considering is just 1 stop lower and still has the same great optics and 1 pound less weight. I think the one you're looking at is a winner. That one extra stop doubles the price.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:39 PM   #5
Super Moderator

well.. will you miss the extra 100mm at the long end? that would be my first question..

if not, the image quality you will get out of the canon is quite impressive, it is a very sharp lens with wonderful colors/contrast.. and it is quite quick to focus and is fairly portable..

if you need the 100mm but want better quality and more speed than you have, then the sigma 100-300 f4.0 would be pefect.. the prices will be falling on the non-dg versions soon,i am guessin pickin one up for 700 bucks wouldnt be unattainable in the future..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote