Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:59 AM   #11

Same here in Canada, I checked the big three main Brick&Mortars I normally do business with and they all list the Tamron 28-75 as on-order or out-of-stock.

These two will ship to the US not sure about International.
http://www.vistek.ca
http://www.henrys.com

If you don't want to wait, you may want to look at the Sigma EX equivelant.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:10 AM   #12

I do not know if Prestige Camera is good or bad, I have never heard of them, but they have a Brooklyn address and that should throw up a RED-Flag to really check them out befor giving them any cash.

Prestige Camera 315 E 89th St
Brooklyn,NY11236

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
Thanksagain,

Kind of surprised. All the big names don't have this Tamron 28-75 canon mount in stock except Prestigecamera.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:18 AM   #13

They are not listed in the "Better Buisness Bureau". So becareful.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:00 AM   #14

I have thought about the advice given and decided to wait and fetch it from the "big names". No hurry at least for now. I checked www.visteka.ca, they have it at 599.95 Canadian dollars but don't ship international. I could not open the webpage www.henrys.ca. Will check again. If anyone one have another suggestion will welcome it. Gee this lens is a hot cake. "Tamron" must be laughing all the way to the bank.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:27 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Tamron is having trouble keeping up with production runs. this is due to the good press the tamron 28-75 has received lately and the increased demand from minolta with popularity of the 7d and the newly released 5d.tamron makes the minolta 28-75 and the 17-35 so they have to fill those orders first. they have began to increase their production capabilities but dont expect this to help until fall at the earliest...

you may consider the sigma 24-70 2.8 as well. optically these two are very similiar.. check out fstop's test here.. http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/24702875
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:12 PM   #16

Thanks Hards80 for the new suggestion of Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8. Have read a few reviewssince your suggestion. But tt seems for some reason there are good copies and there are bad copies of this lens. Isn't that a problem? Folks you need to encourage me. What do you say about this one? When you don't have so much dough to fork around, you take extreme carewhere you want to invest it.Bear with me. The Tamron seems to have blinded me that I have not thought of other lenses. But it is not my fault, seen all those positive reviews about Tamron, and you will be siezed by the same bug that is poking me. Let's hear what you say. Can spend upto 450$.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 5:22 PM   #17
Super Moderator

you have to take reviews with a grain of salt. many of the ppl writing these reviews don't know what a good copy or a bad copy is. they want to blame the lens for their poor technique and it gives them a convenient excuse for mediocre camera skills. when working with a fast aperture lens such as the sigma at 2.8, you have to realize the area that is infocus is going to be really small at this aperture. so you must make sure your focus is spot on. this can lead to ppl's misconceptions that their lens is a "bad copy".

plus its easy for ppl to target sigma because in their past, there have been some issues with their focusing. that has been resolved with the introduction of their EX series. but ppl still have a bad taste in their mouth about it, and it just makes it all that much easier for them to have an excuse to think something is wrong with their lens.

given a choice between the two lenses, i would get the sigma. it focuses faster and i love the build quality of sigma's EX series. i really don't see how you can go wrong here. another option for you could be the Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX DC. it is digital only, so you couldnt take it with you if you migrated to the full frame 1d/1ds series, but on a 1.6x camera this is a wonderful portrait/walkabout lens that gives you just a little bit more room on the wide end of the zoom.

good luck to you, and i would be more than happy to answer any other question you might have.. here in post or via PM..

dustin
Old Jul 25, 2005, 5:48 PM   #18

I have to agree with Hards80 about the Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX. I have the Tamron 28-75 and I bought it by taking The advice of ppl from message boards and forums. The Tamron is an excelent lense. I am glad I purchased it. But I bought it because so many people said they were having focusing problems with Sigma and it was "very soft" at 2.8. After buying my 100-300 f/4 Sigma and the 150mm micro Sigma,both EX line, I went out and tried the Sigma 24-70. And after testing 3 different copies of the lens I realized it was just as good as the Tamron. So now I have 3 Sigma EX lenses and one Tamron. Not thats there anything wrong with that but it would be nice to have a "Full House" if you know what I mean. The 3rd EX lense I now have is the 18-50. Great lens also. I only bought it because 28mm sometimes just doesnt cut it.And I really do not care for the distorted view the super wides give. 10,12,15mm etc. But anyway you can wait for the Tamron to come in stock or get the 24-70 Sigma. You cant go wrong either way. Good luck.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:59 AM   #19

Thanks Hards80 and Arowana.I have settledfor the Sigma 24-70mm F/ 2.8. Ex DG Macro. But at B&H it is a whooping 439$. Any ideas where the price is comfortable, and good services?

I will add a 70-200mm lens. I have been seriously considering Sigma Telephoto lense Ex DG APO HSM which goes for $ 839 at B&H. And the Canon EF f/4.O L USM AF which goes for $ 579. Which of this lenses would you recommend?
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:21 PM   #20
Super Moderator

that price sounds about right for the sigma at B&H.. you may also check out sigma4less.com.. they may have the 24-70 a little bit cheaper.. i have purchased all my sigma products through them and have had no problems..

now to which 70-200.. well it really depends on your needs and wants.. if you plan on doing a lot of indoor and/or low light photography.. the fast 2.8 aperture of the sigma will be a big help for you. check sigma4less on this price too, last i checked they had both the dg and non-dg models for less than you found on BH..

if you want a portable lens and will not be using it in low light situations. the 70-200 4L from canon is a very nice lens.. it is signficantly smaller as well..