Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:14 PM   #41

I just bought one today also came with hood.. Came with $30.00 rebate.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:54 PM   #42
Super Moderator

aumma,

you NEED a tripod when shooting macro.. no questions asked.. its the only way to get the DOF you need and the steadiness at the slow shutterspeeds that will result.. plus the shake will be magnified as these small working distances..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:39 AM   #43

I do have a tripod and what does DOF mean. I may have herd about DOF , but not payed any attention at the time. 80 thanks for helping me make one of the right choices for the lens. I just got back from one of our Glaciers. I have some great shots from the new lens, what a diffrence. This lens is nice, compact and fast.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:24 AM   #44
Super Moderator

DOF- depth of field.. this is the zone of acceptable sharpness... so how deep of area you are getting a good sharp focus.. this is smaller with larger apertures and vice versa.. (for example f2.8 will have a smaller DOF than f5.6)... also for a given aperture a longer lens will have a smaller DOF..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:40 AM   #45

Thanks 80, I do have some idea about depth of field, have profitted more on this one too. Yah, there are always general and specifics. The specifics seem to come with experience. clearly at what F stop is the DOP shallow and not shallow. I will practice with a vase of flowers and see what happens at different F stops. Does the type of lense matter? Also does your distance relative to the subject matter? Does the distance between the subject and the background matter?

kind regards.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:46 AM   #46

Great lens I just got mine and enjoy it very much, fast, compact and the right price with rebate. Have fun good luck.*
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:47 AM   #47

Great lens , I have one. Very fast.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:28 PM   #48

Thanks Imacer. Great glass indeed. Still discovering its potentials. Here is a night shoot.F/8, ISO 200,partial metering, manual focus, WB Tungsten. Just trying it out to see what it can do.:-)
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:54 PM   #49

Dustin,

Thanks for encouraging me to buy the Sigma 24-70mm lens. It only arrived today, although I ordered it about a month ago. The problem was a faulty address. I loved it instantly. Someone described it as a tank, but I think it is not just an ordinary tank it is a peculiar type of tank. I have not yet examined it fully, so it would be wise to refrain from saying much about it. But the feel in the hands makes me happy that I own some glass of worth. And thanks to you for the support and encouragement.

The lens came in a nice len bag, a petal hood, and a UV filter that I added to protect the lens.

Sigm4less did very well in making sure I got the lens. They are good to do business with. Thanks tothem for the wonderful service and efficiency.

These pictures are not the greatest but they are the first I got with my new glass.

Patrick.

Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:07 PM   #50

Flower with Sigma 24-70mm
Attached Images