Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:59 AM   #1

I usually buy my lenses at B&H, but for about a month the above lens has been out of stock. Any ideas where I can buy it,services are exellent as at B&H. Will have to ship to South Africa.

Thanks you.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2005, 8:09 AM   #2

try this link: www.abesofmaine.com.I have purchased many products from them and the quality and on time shipping is great. All products are factory products not gray market or re-furbished. I think the lense is $359.99 with a $30.00 dollar rebate.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 8:13 AM   #3

Direct link.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewprodu...?id=tm2875xraf
Old Jul 23, 2005, 8:47 AM   #4
Administrator

arowana wrote: They don't have it (and it even says not instock for Canon on the web page your link points to).

I don't see any vendors with this lens in stock. Even the ones that show stock in the price search engines, show no stock on their web sites.

If a vendor did show it in stock right now, I'd be suspicious of their inventory system (or ethics). ;-)

Most internet vendors drop ship from distributors anyway. So, when one is out, usually all are out (except for the scam artists type vendors that only claim the item is in stock; or the "brick and mortar" dealers that may actually stock what they sell).

I'd check with the price search engine here frequently for availability:

Price Search for Tamron 28-75

If you're not familiar with a vendor, I'd make sure to check their reputation with http://www.resellerratings.com

B&H also has a feature that will notify you when a backordered item arrives. So, you may want to get on the notification list for it with them.

You'll see a button for "Notify When in Stock" on their page for it:

Tamron 28-75 at B&H

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 8:57 AM   #5

For whatever reason they do not update there " in stock " very often. I bought my Sigma 150mm micro from these guys. The web site said" out of stock for Canon mount " so I called to ask when they might get some in. They told me they had 10 in stock, they just have'nt updated there web site yet. I ordered it and recieved it 3 days later. I am not saying they do have it right now, But its worth the call. There prices are normally better than B&H.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 7:55 AM   #6

Thanks Arowana and JimC,

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewprodu...?id=tm2875xrafhas the canon lens out of stock. So I followed up the listing JimC had suggested and found a store called Prestigecamera selling for $ 329.99 and another 74$ for shipping. They are only offering a one year warranty. Wonder whether this is right! Decided to check with you folks first before placing the order. Any information that might help is welcome.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:05 AM   #7

Also what seem to cast doubt in my mind, they said that the price shown together with the international postage may not be the final price. At B&H what you see is what they charge. What is going on?
Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:33 AM   #8

Usually, after you enter all of your information but before you finalize your order they will give you a final price. Now I did say usually. I have never used this company before nor have I had to ship outof the country. But all the sites I do deal with, 17thStreetPhoto.com and AbesofMaine.com do this. So you can try that. Just do not finalize order untill you are sure. Good luck.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:37 AM   #9

Thanksagain,

Kind of surprised. All the big names don't have this Tamron 28-75 canon mount in stock except Prestigecamera.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:58 AM   #10

The big names are the ones surfers can trust to be legit. Therefor most photographers and amatures are going to buy from them which in hand belittles there stock. 17th street and Abes of Maine are real consumer stores in New York. So not only are they trying to meet the demands of online byers, they also have to meet the demands of there local customers. So i am sure its tough to keep that many lenses in stock. And when you have so many forums and so many people recomending certain lenses because of there greatness, the orders just flood in without the buisnesses having a clue why. I just like to stick with 17th Street and Abes of Maine because I have never had any problems with them. Orders,shipping,returns and products have all been smooth and painless. That piece of mind, when sending someone you do not know money for a product you have never seen and taking there word for it you will get it and it will be factory quality, is all I need and is worth the wait for it to come in stock. Hey, and the prices are not bad either. But good luck on your purchase and post some pics when you get your lens. Happy shooting.