Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:25 PM   #1

I am considering adding a good quality wide angle lens for my 20D to replace the Canon EF-S 18-55 lens that came with it. I have narrowed the choices between a Canon 17-40L lensand the Sigma 18-50 f2.8. Has anyone compared the two? Which of the two has the best optic quality
harryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:35 PM   #2

Both are good lenses. The L is built better and has the nice USM AF and FTM as well. In terms of handling, the L is better except for the size, which the EX is more compact with a better lens hood; the L's lens hood is ugly and plasticky but gets the job done. As for optics, simply put, the EX shines from 18-30mm while the L outperforms the EX at the longer end (roughly 30-40mm). The Sigma EX is not really 50mm but more like 47mm. Edge performance is close throughout. The EX has obvious CA wide open, but that isn't all that uncommon. By f4 it is mostly gone and well-controlled. Overall, I'd have to give the nod to the Sigma EX only because I'm big on speed and the EX gives you f2.8 throughout. If f4 is sufficient for you, then the L is a better lens overall. The build and refinement is better and the USM is simply fantastic. You can't go wrong with either, but I'd give the nod to the EX because at the end of the day, I like having f2.8. It also costs significantly less. See my site here: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/17401850
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:59 PM   #3

Thanks fstopjojo for the info. Your comparison tests helped a lot in deciding which lens to get. At this point I'm thinking of going with the Sigma.
harryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 5:06 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i will go ahead and second fstop's suggestion of the 18-50 2.8.. this is a wonderful lens that has excellent build quality and is a superb performer optically.. you can't go wrong either way, but 2.8 sure is nice, if not only for the extra speed.. but also for the bright viewfinder and better AF sensitivity..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote