Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:15 PM   #1

hey i am looking at this lens, thinking of getting it.

i am not worried about the short focal range (stopping at only 60). Is there anything else besides that which people love/hate about it? should i get it over the tamron 28-75 and sigma 24-70 (for reasons other than focal length).

thanks.
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:31 PM   #2

sajdahgraphics wrote:
Quote:
hey i am looking at this lens, thinking of getting it.

i am not worried about the short focal range (stopping at only 60). Is there anything else besides that which people love/hate about it? should i get it over the tamron 28-75 and sigma 24-70 (for reasons other than focal length).

thanks.
I had 2 of them at the same time, and both front-focused on my 20D. When I was able to MF and get the focus right, they were both "good" wide open, but neither was as sharp or as punchy as my current Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro. It is built almost identically to the 18-50 f2.8 and the 28-70 f2.8 Sigmas. It is the largest of them (though not as large as the 24-70, which is close in size to theCanon24-70L). AF speed is "good" (not very fast but good enough) and the smaller size of it vis-a-vis the 24-70EX is nice, but I would opt for the 24-70 anyday over it. My 24-70EX bests all 3 Canon 24-70Ls I've had and that is no small thing. Best wishes to you.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:32 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i would agree.. the 24-70 is sharper and imo better buit..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote