Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:43 PM   #11
NHL

arowana wrote:
Quote:
NHL. Is this a photographfrom your 12-24 and your camera? That picture is amazing!!!!!!!!!! That photo, if its yours, has just sealed the deal on my search for a wide angle lens. I was worried that all wide angle zooms had a little fish-eye effect to them. I have not had the chance to check any out lately because of my printer search delima. If I can not decide on a printer in the week or so I will be ordering this lens.
Yeap... that's the 12-24 EX alright: Here's one from the far end (left side of that previous rock formation) - from the beach looking out to the rubber dingy/ocean!

Although I like this image the most: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...347014#p347014
That really shows how good the 12-24 EX is: It was taken right from below the gondolas which were overhead with the cruise ships all the way down the mountain...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:13 AM   #12

In case you want to add another lens to your list. I have really enjoyed the Tokina 12-24 wide angle. Sample shot, not my greatest but its a sample:

Attached Images

Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:38 AM   #13

My vote would go to the Sigma 12-24 EX because I could use it on my 20D as well as on full frame DSLR and 35mm SLR bodies.

The Canon EF-s 10-22, Sigma 10-20 DC and Tamron 11-18 ASP are limited to 1.6 crop bodies

I know too little about the Tokina, nobody seems to sells them here to be able to go do a look-see.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:39 AM   #14
NHL

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
My vote would go to the Sigma 12-24 EX because I could use it on my 20D as well as on full frame DSLR and 35mm SLR bodies.
and I agree 100% (the Sigma is also the only USM AF with full-time manual overide available)!!!

Remember the 'Digital' 10mm is really only a 16mm... You can never use it as a 10mm - The 12-24 EX is in fact a true 12mm on a full-frame - Still the widest zoom available. Now all you need is to save up (or buy the F/F 2nd hand when a new one come out)! :-)

-> Check its MTF @ 24mm against the highly regarded 24-70 f/2.8 L

Old Aug 5, 2005, 5:16 AM   #15

NHL,

I'm interested, did you run any distortion programs on your shots as although in these examples it might not be overly noticeable (as no straight edges) I certainly cant see any (distortion that is).

Both very good.

LB
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 6:25 AM   #16
NHL

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
NHL,

I'm interested, did you run any distortion programs on your shots as although in these examples it might not be overly noticeable (as no straight edges) I certainly cant see any (distortion that is).

Both very good.
No distortion program...

The distortion is there which is why the images are so catching, but they are linear in nature (ie no fisheye effect) so I can minimize it by keeping the subject toward the center.

This picture of the 'Blue Beard" castle shows it better:

This lens is absolutely a hoot to shoot with, basically it captures everything from your feet to the sky overhead and focus all the way down to 11" for a more dramatic effect up close!
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:48 AM   #17

Hi NFL,

What camera are you using for those photographs (eg the ocean shots)?

Thanks

Steve
stephenderry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:57 AM   #18

In the post of July 26th, NHL indicated that the Sigma 12-24 /4.5-5.6 lens has a more effective front filter hood/adapter (beside the built-in tulip shade) against glare for APS-C sized camera which can accept a front rotating polarizing filter. I had consideredpurchasing this lens but decided against it since it uses rear gelatin filters. Can this lens in fact accept a front mounted filter such as a circular polarizer,graduated neutral density filter, etc.? If so what does this adapter consist of and where can it be obtained? If front filters can be used effectively via such an adapter, then this is the lens for me (in place ofthe Canon, Tokina, and Sigma digital wide angle zooms i have been considering).

Thanks,

Ned

nedl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 5:53 AM   #19
NHL

nedl wrote:
Quote:
In the post of July 26th, NHL indicated that the Sigma 12-24 /4.5-5.6 lens has a more effective front filter hood/adapter (beside the built-in tulip shade) against glare for APS-C sized camera which can accept a front rotating polarizing filter. I had consideredpurchasing this lens but decided against it since it uses rear gelatin filters. Can this lens in fact accept a front mounted filter such as a circular polarizer,graduated neutral density filter, etc.? If so what does this adapter consist of and where can it be obtained? If front filters can be used effectively via such an adapter, then this is the lens for me (in place ofthe Canon, Tokina, and Sigma digital wide angle zooms i have been considering).
The Sigma 12-24 (just like the 15-30) EX comes with a round metal hood that slips over the 'built-in' tulip shade. This hood is threaded for an 82mm lens cap which the user can removed and twist in any front mounted filter.

One caveat though because of such extreme angle, a front filter (even the thin kind) will vignette slighly in the corner during the last 2mm of travel (~14mm) - It's quite effective otherwise. When this happen one can just slide the hood/filter off, the above shots taken with the 10D were with the hood/filter removed. This friction mounted filter/adapter also serves another purpose, it protects the huge exposed convex front glass bulbous element from bumping into things...