Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:39 AM   #1

Hey and thanks for the advice. Im bout to purchase a 20d and ive found it with the 18-55 lens and the 18-55 usm lens. Was wondering if the price difference is worth it.
Bout a 90 dollar difference. thanks again.
fotoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:10 AM   #2

if you can afford it, go for the USM. Must faster focusing and if you are spending that much money on a 20D, get the better lens.
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:22 AM   #3
Super Moderator

i would agree... or pick it up body only and pick up a nice 24-85 USM.. or earlier generation 28-105 USM..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:31 AM   #4

The "USM" version of this lens has a MICRO USM mechanism, which in reality is little better than a micro motor- a little more quiet, but that's about it. The real USM lenses utilize the ring USM motor, which allows for manual focus even if AF is engaged and focus is ultra-swift and silent.

Canon found a way to make a slightly better micro motor and they took advantage of their "USM" moniker at the expense of us normal folk who are not supposed to know better. One of the other lenses where they use the ploy deftly is the 75-300 "USM" with Image Stabilization. Without the Image Stabilization or micro USM this lens is available for under $200. Add Image Stabilization and "USM" and the price goes up well over 2x. Earlier this year I met a friend at his daughter's mid day soccer match. He had his D60 and 75-300 IS "USM" lens and I had my 10D and 100-400L USM. The difference between those two lenses was remarkable. Both I and my friend were able to easily follow focus kids across the field never losing focus with the 100-400 mounted to either camera. The 75-300 always lagged behind, both on my friends D60 and my 10D.

The two lenses you are looking at are virtually the same. The original 18-55 non "USM" lens focuses fairly fast and pretty darn quiet. The "USM" version is, in my opinion, a waste of extra money.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:49 PM   #5

The original kit lens (18-55) for the 300D is great. Sharp, focuses fast, and it's quiet. Hard to justify spending more money on the so-called USM version. It may not be as sharp as my 17-40L but for most things its really hard to tell the difference.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:45 AM   #6

If it is not a real ring USM I'd save my money and get the plain version.
Put the money you save away for upgradeing to an L lens later on.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 4:25 AM   #7

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
If it is not a real ring USM I'd save my money and get the plain version.
Put the money you save away for upgradeing to an L lens later on.

Peter.
I agree, if it is not the true USM don't spend extra for it. I didn't know that it was the Micro USM in my earlier post.
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:10 PM   #8

If has full-time manual focus, thats enough for me.
I was without USM before, but now I'm moving to USM every chance I get.
I love it.
limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 5:02 PM   #9

There's your problem limbiksys, the 18-55 USM does NOT have full time manual focus. The only lens fitted with a micro USM motor that allows for full-time manual focus is the 50mm f1.4, and that's only because Canon created a workaround to enable it.

The micro USM motor on the 18-55 is nothing more than window dressing, and it's the buyer that gets sauced if he/she pays the extra money for it- it's NOT worth it. If you want a lens with full time manual focus you have to buy a Canon lens fitted with the RING USM mechanism, and Canon does not (for a reason) say "Micro USM" in their ads. It's more money in their pocket if they can get you to pay more an item that's basically just like one they already sell for less.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:57 PM   #10

That's unfortunate, but good to know.
In that case, I'd stay away from the 18-55 altogether if I were you fotoworks
Or at least save the $90 bucks.
limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote