Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:17 AM   #1

I just bought a┬*Canon 24-85mm Lens, B+W Multi Coated UV, and Canon 73EW HOOD and a Rebel XT,┬*┬*I have 2 questions :┬* ┬*1) Should the hood be used both indoors and out (image quality wise)?┬* ┬*2) The other is for suggestions for working with the hood and lens cap?┬* ┬* ┬*I know already that I can take the hood on and off with the lens Cap on.┬* I do not see a sane way to get the Lens cap on or off with the hood on.┬* ┬* ┬*It seems that the best way to work is to remove the hood when┬* I need to take off or put on the lens cap.┬* ┬* ┬*Thank you in advance
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:33 AM   #2
NHL

anthlover wrote:
Quote:
2) The other is for suggestions for working with the hood and lens cap?
Did you try to invert the hood (ie facing the camera)?
-> That's how they suppose to work in stow

Quote:
1) Should the hood be used both indoors and out (image quality wise)?
The hood is to prevent glare from a strong light source/reflection - Is there's such a glaring light indoor? :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:25 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply...True light is not usually so strong indoors.┬* I ask because there was a strong suggestion with this particualar lens to use the hood, so I thought it might be more sensative even out of strong light.As far inverting the hood, I imagine that might make it more compact (not needed) or to keep from losing it (not a bad idea).┬* I do not see that this┬* helps with frequent capping and capping of the lens when you want to use the hood.┬* I did notice that the filter helps a little.┬* The only problem is if the lens is extended its all to easy to push to unextnd the lens, which can not be good for the optics.I guess the best is just to remove the hood when capping/uncapping.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:48 AM   #4

Even the occassional lamp indoors can give you trouble, also the lens-hood serves very well as a "buffer" to mechanical injuries- so I keep it on my lenses all the time while shooting.

If function is more important to you as appearance, I suggest you get a lens-cap from a third-party manufacturer (i.e. Tokina), where you can grip the release levers without problems while the hood is attached - obviously they use their lenses & covers themselves. :idea:

Ciao, Wolfie:-)
wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote