Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:45 AM   #1

I'm dead keen to buy a Sigma 28-300mm macro lens for a general pupose, carry-around lens. I like it because it's really small, light and has a pretty good range. I've read mixed reviews on the lens. But seeing as it will be a carry-around, and I'm not taking photos as a profession, i think it will be suitable for the job...any suggestions?
SRXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Super Moderator

it will be soft.. there is just no way around that with a 11x zoom.. and the af is going to be slow and you are going to have a dim viewfinder.. the image quality will be ok as long as you don't plan on doing any cropping or enlarging..

there are certainly better options.. but if you are willing to sacrifice a bit for versatility then it should be adequate..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 5:38 PM   #3

I was also thinking about this lens but open for suggestions. I have come to trust Hards80's judgement as I think you are as much of a lens junky as I am, he who dies with the most lenes is the winner, but they need to be quality lenses to count. I have a pretty good selection of lenes, but I am also looking for a light weight walk around lens with plenty of range. something like a 12-300 f/2 for under $500 would be nice. enough dreaming. what other suggestions do you have?
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

well the 28-135 IS Canon becomes a 48-216ish zoom on a 1.6 crop factor body, which is not too shabby of range really.. and is much sharper and brighter than the aformentioned superzoom.. the 18-125 from Sigma is also quite sharp, it lacks IS and a USM/HSM.. but would be be a cheaper alternative..

i recomment two lenses really.. say some kind of 18-75, 17-40, 18-50, something in that range, with a nice tele such as a 70-200.. if size and weight are a factor, the 70-200 f4.0L from canon is small, as well as the 70-300 DO IS..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 4:29 AM   #5

Well I've had the 28-300mm Sigma lens for a week or so now. The lens is by no means a proffesional lens, but that's not the reason I bought it

At full zoom the image is tad soft, but with a 11X zoom are we really that surprised. This lens however serves a purpose, especially for situations when you are unable to carry around several Kg's of lenses with you (ie a day at the park with the kids or a strenuous day hike).

I'm overall pretty happy with the lens and I'm really enjoying the macro function. I would love a range of expensive lenses, buta lotof us are not in the situation to afford the range ofgood IS, USM Canonlenses......

Here are a few test pics I took

This is at the min zoom seeting of the mountian by my house. The red circle is the spot where the next photo is zoomed to

This is the red area zoomed to max zoom of 300mm (no cropping), those guys are about 2km away from me.

some macro shots

Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:44 AM   #6

muchos impressed!

i purchased this lense yesterday (i believe i orderd this one any way :s sigma 28 - 300 with macro at 300)

hopefully its the same one, the mountain climbin image sold it for me

thanks!!

will post some photos with it 2morrow night
mikeadams1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:32 AM   #7

so have you got any cool pics to post?!?!?