Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:31 AM   #1

This topic may have been beaten to death before; if so, I apologize.

Specifically speaking of the Tamron AF 24-75mm f2.8 XR Di vs. the Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L, is the Canon worth the extra $800?

I've been burned once buying an off-brand lens, so I'm a little hesitant to invest in another one, but I've read some good things about the Tamron. Does anyone have personal experience comparing these two lenses?

Thanks
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:47 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Specifically speaking of the Tamron AF 24-75mm f2.8 XR Di vs. the Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L, is the Canon worth the extra $800?
I'm not going to touch that one. ;-) You'll need to decide what is best for your needs. BTW,the Tamron isa 28-75mm versus a 24-75mm.

You may also want to consider the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro.

One of our forum members, fstopjojo, has some comparisons between the Canon and the Sigma here:

http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/2470shootout

He has some comparisons between the Canon and the Tamron here:

http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/24702875

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:41 AM   #3

Yup 30-foot pole comes out :blah:

Only one comment is the Tamron is a 28-75 F2.8, not a 24-75 F2.8 :-)
So the Canon&Sigma are 4mm wider and the Tamron is 5mm longer :-)

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:48 AM   #4

Oops, my bad on the focal length. In any case, I would think the two are close enough to fill the same general needs; I'm thinking primarily of the constant 2.8 aperture. I have a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, and am very pleased with it's performance. I'm looking for a companion lens for the wider focal lengths to complement it. I've read rave reviews of the Canon lens, but for the extra money plus a little more, I can buy a 400mm prime lens that I have my eye on.

Thanks for your replies.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:09 AM   #5

:blah::blah::blah:
That the problem with this passtime.
Before long you'll end up with both lenses in your bag, and a much lighter wallet.

Peter.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:41 AM   #6
Super Moderator

i daresay you will be happy with either the sigma or tamron AND the 400 prime..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:54 PM   #7
NHL

tmilner wrote:
Quote:
I've been burned once buying an off-brand lens, so I'm a little hesitant to invest in another one, but I've read some good things about the Tamron...
If I recall correctly your off-brand lens was a re-branded Quantaray, a low-end lens which is only comparable to Canon entry level offerings - The lens you had is not representative of an 'XR' or 'EX' professional series lenses from Tamron nor Sigma which compete on par with the L's...

However I can say right away the EF 24-70 f/2.8L is better - why because it has USM and is dust and water resistant - Is it optically better? Now that will depend: The Tamron is a 28 so it's not even comparable, the 4mm difference at the WA is much larger than the 5mm at 70!

At 24mm the Canon is better (check the black curves against the red and green which are @ wide open):

vs

At 70mm the Sigma is better (Canon blue curves are when the lens is closed down to f/8 which are always higher):

vs

Now the question is: are thoses differences worth 3 times the $ amount? I'm with Hards80 on this you can have the Sigma (or the Tamron) and the 400 too (from the $ saving)! :-) :lol: :G

BTW your camera only 'sees' to ~13mm diagonal (ie everything above 15mm is wasted...)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:17 AM   #8

Thanks for the information. I think I read somewhere that photography involves a lot of trade-offs, unless you have an unlimited budget (which I don't). I'm finding this to be true; I'm constantly wrestling with the question of quantity vs. quality, zoom vs. prime, aperture vs. focal length, etc. What I'll probably do is put off my decision and continue to sock away money until I have enough saved to buy the Canon, then I can decide whether to buy one expensive lens or two less expensive lenses.

I've also read on this forum "Buy cheap; buy twice", and my experience with the Quantaray has confirmed that, at least in my mind. However, it appears that the Tamron lens may be a safe bet.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:34 AM   #9
NHL

Your other option is to also get the 12-24 EX for the WA and still be within budget - At 24 the Sigma best the 24-70 L (with room to spare) all the away to the corners and comes with HSM, it's just not water resistant

You can see my pictures from others posts: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65
How much sharper do you want them to be ???

Also be very careful with prime - Newer zooms are sharper than most 'antique' primes, check their MTF first! :idea:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:28 AM   #10

Yup, at sigma4less the 12mm-24mm F4.5/5.6 EX DG Canon mount is selling for 529$us

http://www.sigma4less.com

If you are in the US you are all set :-) they don't seem to ship outside of the US though So I personally have not been able to try them.

Peter