Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:07 AM   #1

Hi fairly new to this forum, I was after some advice as to which lenses

I should buy to start with for Wedding and Portrait photography? I have the Canon 20D, and the 17-85mm USM IS currently what would be the best lenses to compliment it. perhaps the 70-200 f2.8 L USM IS??

your help would be very much appreciated >?

Clare
apertures is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:21 AM   #2

Yes and about 3 other Pro quality lenses with the correct flash-lite oh and reallytons more stuff.

Sorry I cant be more detailed at the moment, but will come back to you when I have more time.

Weddings are serious business. In that I mean serious trouble for you if you don't get it right - no retakes here, and people money and emotions to satisfy on that one big day...

If your new to this you best want to try and go first a few times with someone well practiced. Read alot and get your technique right too.

But the equipment is darn important too, and your right, at the moment you don't have it.

Take care, will talk again later on, with some specific advice.

:-)
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 8:52 AM   #3

I would say that for a wedding shoot, you would need at least, a bunch of lenses that reach from 16mm to 200mm minimum. You mentioned the 70-200L 2.8 IS USM....get it! Don´t even think about the money. If you are serious about doing weddings you want quality glass. This lens is great for candids and reportage where you DON´T want to be in peoples faces.

Also try the 16-35L for interior church shots and the fantastic 50mm 1.4 for portraits. Don´t skimp on quality with weddings. If you think they are too expensive, you are not ready to do weddings yet because what you charge for a wedding SHOULD cover the cost of one or two of these L lenses.

One thing you WILL be happy with is the 20D. Although not a fully pro camera, the quality of its images matches or actually surpasses that of my 1d MKII, ESPECIALLY using high ISO´s inside the church. The only downside is the 1.6x crop factor which leaves you wanting more "width" inside the church.

Nonetheless, get yourself well trained up and experienced before charging a penny.

Have a look at this page on my site for some more tips...

http://www.all-things-photography.co...-amateurs.html

All the best and good luck,

Nick
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:11 AM   #4

I said I would add some more detailed advice but I was beaten to it. See above, all good stuff. The 50 is good but also think abouta wider prime with a large aperture. Very beneficial inside and outsideon overcast days.

Think about data storage and back up bodies.... What can happen will happen.... Your in for alot of fun.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 7:54 AM   #5
Super Moderator

a combo of the canon 35 1.4/28 1.4and an 85 1.2/1.8 would serve you well depending on your budget..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:13 PM   #6

Lots of good suggestions. I say get a prime or 2. I use the Canon 50 f/1.4 and the 35 f/2 and love them both for weddings and other available light shooting. I haven't had an opportunity to play with the newer Sigma 30 f/1.4, but I've heard nothing but great things about it and on your 20D it would be close to a "normal" lens. Best of luck to you!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:45 PM   #7

You might want to think of Gary Fong's LensBaby for shots of the bride or groom. It is very nice and creates a blurred background. Gary Fong's Site Just scroll down to the bottom and click next until you get to it.
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:53 PM   #8
Super Moderator

as LB mentioned, you definately need another body.. whether it be another DSLR or a standard film SLR.. camera malfunction is not an excuse..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:28 PM   #9

I agree with Hards80 and others about the extra body. I've done two weddings now with only one body and nothing worried me more than my camera taking a dump half way through. I just picked up a 20D and put my drebel on backup duty for the next two weddings I have to do yet. I know I will sleep a little better now the night before.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote