Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1

I am so frustrated at how close Sigma has come to making exactly the lenses I am looking for and then falling short by just one thing.

I love my new 70-200, but if they could incorporate the OS that they put in the 80-400 it would be perfect.

I am looking for a wide zoom now and came across the 17-35 f2.8-4. Nice, but I would really like a constant f2.8 for this. So I found the 20-40 f2.8, perfect! But no HSM So close... but yet, so far. Pardon my rant.
limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:16 PM   #2

Yeh, it's a shame. I wish for a 24-70 f2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 70-200 f2.8 EX DG OS HSM, and a 50-500 f4-5.6 EX DG OS HSM. Won't hold my breath though.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 11:23 PM   #3

I would really think they would be after a 70-200 OS, since that is a major factor in people who choose Canon for that focal length. Beyond that, its mostly subjective, and man am I ever subject to my wallet. At least when quality is so close. I've had Sigmas that really dissapointed me, but the EX are on par.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:05 AM   #4

OS/IS adds 1/3 to 1/2 onto the price of a longer lens like the 70-200, but it would be a nice addition if it was abailable as an option. :-).

The one lens that Sigma has OS in, is slow to focus because they did not use the HSM focus motor in it. I'm guessing to keep cost lower in the final product.

Now a Sigma EX lens like the 70-200 or 80-400 with OS and HSM in it would be "Very Interesting" :idea:

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:44 AM   #5
NHL

Or pick a Minolta and all your lens will have Anti-Shake

Canon had the original AF in the lens too (until Minolta nipped it in the buds...) :-)
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...SLRs/canont80/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:21 AM   #6

Yea, KM was really thinking, unfortunately they fell short too. Perhaps I am mistaken, but from what I have seen of it so far, there is not nearly enough hands on control, for example, having to go into the menu to set the aperture. I also like having an LCD so I can quickly verify all my settings.

On another note, can anybody explain Sigma's "Dual Focus" system thats in the 20-40mm? I'm having a hard time finding useful details.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:58 PM   #7

Regarding "DF", it's common on a good number of Sigma's EX lenses, and any lens with HSM doesNOT have the "DF" function. Some EX lenses with "DF" are the 20/24/28 f1.8s, 24-70 f2.8, 20-40 f2.8, etc. Some hate this while some are completely fine with it. It basically is their designation for their 2-step MF to AF or AF to MF procedure. You click the focus ring down (toward you) to get the focus ring into MF, then you need to pop the little switch at the base of the lens to MF also. In practice, it takes but 1 second to do, but it can be cumbersome to some users. I've never seen the major benefit of this, though it does allow the focus ring while in AF to move freely so as to not damage it accidentally.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:02 PM   #8

I get it, somewat similar to the Tokina "clutch" that I just tried out on the 12-24.

Funny thing is, after trying the clutch and HSM, and using the HSM so often, I amost cranked on my Tamron 28-75 in AF mode out of habit, and that probably would have done some damage. This is why I'm looking for an HSM/USM option to replace that lens, even if does not have the entire focal range :-) The sigma DF would be safe, but I'm not 100% sure I could get used to it. All the shops around here are snobs, so there is nowhere to test out the Sigma line.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 4:10 PM   #9

limbiksys wrote:
Quote:
I love my new 70-200, but if they could incorporate the OS that they put in the 80-400 it would be perfect.

Well, that´s about the only use I see for IS- if you use high-opening shorter lenses, you should be able to reach around 1/60 - that´s -hopefully- enough to damp your shakes, and the subjekt´s movement´s, too. If you use a 70-200, it translates on a 1.6 crop to320mm - I hold that (sucked in chest) with 1/250 - IS would give me 1/60 again.

(post meant for theater-photography)

Ciao, Wolfie:roll:

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote