Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:38 PM   #1

Need advice - which lense to get for the digital rebel xt???
1 - Choice is - Canon 17-85 IS - it feels a little bit heavy
2 - or Sigma - 18 - 135 (ws told that it might be ligter) not sure of the image quality can anyone advice here?
3- Canon 17-40L - was told image is very sharp but expensive and not too much zoom. Please help
pleaseadvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:16 PM   #2

the sigma is around 100 grams lighter than the 17-85, so i believe you would feel a difference there. I think the 17-85 might be optically better than the sigma, but the reason why the 17-85 is so much more is probably due to the IS.

For instance I've seen some comparative shots with the 28-105 3.5-4.5 II usm vs the 28-135 IS and there's only a slight difference optically, but the 28-135 is almost twice as much because of IS and slightly longer focal length.

I would suggest the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX over the the ef 17-40 because it's twice as fast (in aperture) and it costs less than the 17-40. The only two things (i think) that you miss out on is no equivalent USM (or HSM in sigma terms) and a weather seal. it's a little bit lighter than the 17-85 but still heavier than the 18-125. I'd probably go for the 18-50 if price wasn't a concern, else i'd just go for the 18-125 (i don't really want to spend 100s on IS because it's a type of tech that can easily become obsolete- it should definitely be in the camera body rather than the lens, i just hope they'll follow KM).

But I shall continue to slowly slowly save up for the sigma 30mm /1.4 ...

almost there...

but if you were still on a tighter budget i'd either go for the 28-105 version II (there's another one that's really sucky) or just stick with the kit lens.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:02 AM   #3
Super Moderator

it really depends on what you will be shooting.. what is the main purpose of this lens?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:33 PM   #4

I will be shooting family photos...holidays, vacations, scenery ....like to take close ups. I am not a professional but like to have really nice pictures...good color & clarity.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:39 PM   #5

Don't mind me asking but what benefit will I see of the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX over the ef 17-40L other than speed how is the image quality. That Canon 17-40 is an L lense.

What is the HSM and weather seal you mentioned in the Sigma lense? So you think that the Sigma 18-135 is a better choice than the Canon 17-85 IS lense? What is your opinion of the rebel xt?

Old Aug 9, 2005, 3:46 PM   #6

The Sigma is a EX series, which is Sigmas equivelant line to Canons L series.
The EX series are optically very good.

The HSM is Sigmas name for USM (Canons very fast UltraSonic Motor focusing drive)
Lenses without USM/HSM focus much slower.

The Canon L Lenses have weather sealing, they keep out dust, dirt and moisture much better than standard lenses. It helps to have a camera body that also has weather sealing like the 1d series to really make use of this feature.

The majority of Sigma lenses do not have IS Image Stabilization.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:01 PM   #7

Do you think IS is important in a lense of 17-85? My main aim is to have one lense and not sure how to accomplish this.

Please advice ...I do like to take portrait shots. as well as some distance.

Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:50 PM   #8

I have the xt with the kit lens. I really like the xt body, and I'm semi happy with the lens (the optical quality can be good if you really try and do some post processing) - but I keep wishing for a faster lens because I like to stick with no flash.

Most of my shots are portraits and I have a little plan with what to do. I plan on getting the sigma 30mm f/1.4 and ef 85 f/1.8 for portraits. That 30mm might sound strange but that's for group/body shots (hopefully, it may also become my general lens).

This way (hopefully), I can top it off with a general zoom lens that doesn't have to be fast and expensive. I.E. the 18-125 has a very promising mtf chart for it's value or I could just stick with the kit lens.

Anyway, IS is useful depending on your needs. I'm not sure if people consider portraits as stationary subjects... But IS is for stationary... I think it's mainly used for the tele end but might be useful if you take a hand held, low aperture landscape picture. Note that the 17-85 is a rather slow lens, so it does benifit from IS. If you have a faster lens, it becomes less useful.

Another thing to note is that the slower lens has a greater DOF, which might not leave you with that nice blurry background you wanted on your portraits.

If it was me, and price wasn't an issue, and if I had to choose one lens for general purpose and portraits... it would either be...:

sigma 24-70 f/2.8
sigma 18-50 f/2.8
tamron 28-75 f/2.8
and if I was really pouring the money, the canon 24-70 f/2.8
Another one you might consider if you wish to put some space between you and your subject is the 70-200 f/2.8 (but this is a bit more $ than the first three)

I think you can consider the optical quality of all these lenses to be really good.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:26 AM   #9
Super Moderator

honestly, if you are going to try to make it by with 1 lens.. then you are going to have to compromise a bit.. while the image quality is not quite up to par with most L and EX series lenses.. sigma make a very nice 18-200 DC lens.. its not fast, so you will have to make good use of your ISO settings.. but the thing sure is sharp for its range and size.. there is a pro, who owns many L series lenses as well as some nice german ones as well, that really raves on the image quality of this lens and uses it as his travel lens.. he puts it on par w/ the 17-40L.. now i am not sure if i would go that far, but from the examples he has posted, it looks quite good indeed..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:52 AM   #10

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
The majority of Sigma lenses do not have IS Image Stabilization.

Peter.
1 out of 45 Sigma lenses have OS, so 97.8% do not have OS. Time to step it up, Sigma...Give us an 18-70 f4 EX OS HSM, an 85 f1.8 EX OS HSM, a 70-200 f2.8 EX OS HSM, and a 50-500 f4-f5.6 EX OS HSM.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote