Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:49 PM   #1

Which is a better lens Tameron, Sigma or Canon. I have a Canon XT.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2005, 8:07 PM   #2

There is no way to say unless you are looking at specific lenses. All thos companies make some very, very good lenses and they all make some pretty crappy lenses, too.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 3:51 AM   #3

Despite Canon's vigorous advertising campaign against third-party lenses a lot of people happily use lenses made by Tamron, Tokina and Sigma (and lenses with other brandnames but probably built by one of those three). And there's one really good reason for this - the third party lenses are almost always much much cheaper than equivalent offerings from Canon.

So. Should you buy a third party lens? It's not a simple yes/no issue, so here are some points to consider.
  • Price savings of third party products can be considerable, particularly if you're looking to get a faster, higher-quality zoom lens. [/*]
  • Remember that the cheapest lenses are optimized for price, not for optical quality. And the profit margins for cheap products tend to be very thin. The price differential between Canon and third party isn't huge when it comes to super-cheap lenses, so I don't know if third party lenses are such a great idea in this case. [/*]
  • Third party makers produce lenses in a variety of market categories. Conventional wisdom is that if you're considering third party at all you should consider the higher end of their product line, not the lower end for the reason above. [/*]
  • On the whole, Canon lenses seem to hold up their used value more than third party. If you intend to resell the lens anytime soon this can be a consideration. [/*]
  • Camera salespeople seem very eager to push third party lenses, so it's likely that they receive bigger kickbacks from the manufacturers in return. Don't let yourself be swayed by an eager salesperson - he or she probably isn't trying to convince you to buy something for your benefit. [/*]
  • Buying Canon is pretty well a guarantee that your lens will work with any Canon EOS camera. However Tamron also have an excellent compatibility record with EOS cameras. Always test with your camera first, but be aware that the lens may not necessarily work with future EOS cameras. [/*]
  • Some older Sigma lenses do not work correctly with the latest EOS cameras. They fit the camera but don't have compatible electronics, so the camera tends to lock up when you try to shoot. If you have such a lens you'll need to contact the manufacturer to see if they can provide a free repair to the problem. [/*]
  • Build quality of older Sigma products is notoriously poor. A quick search of the Web reveals countless complaints from unhappy Sigma lens owners. Newer Sigma lenses seem to be a bit sturdier, judging by anecdotal evidence. [/*]
  • Many of Tokina's lenses have heavy metal lens barrels, which are take a lot of abuse but are a drag when hiking. [/*]
  • Canon offer many lenses with USM and full-time manual. Most third party lenses don't have these features. [/*]
  • There are some operational differences. For instance, some third party lenses have focus or zoom rings which rotate in the opposite direction from the usual Canon direction. [/*]
  • It's difficult finding useful comparative data. You can look up the MTF scores on sites such as Photodo, which is a useful guideline, but the only way to compare lenses properly is to test them yourself to see if they meet your needs. Asking, "Is the Tokina XYZ 2.8 lens better than the Canon XYZ 2.8 lens?" rarely yields helpful answers, because most people don't buy both lenses and try them out. [/*]
  • Some specific third party lenses are better known than others. For example, Tamron's 90mm macro lens has a reputation for excellent image quality at a price considerably less than Canon's 100mm macro. Sigma sell an 8mm fisheye which Canon do not make. [/*]
  • But the biggest deciding factor is, as always, money. Only you can decide what's your priority - low initial purchase price, mechanical reliability, compatibility, user interface or optical quality. [/*]
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:07 AM   #4

LBoy,

You're getting soft on us :-):-)

What happened to toeing the Canon L party line?

But seriously - some good points there as general considerations. Just to add these factors when you are deciding on a particular lens:

Make sure you compare 'apples' to 'apples' so to speak. Look at the features provided: things like USM (HSM in Sigma), Image Stabilization in addition to feedback on picture quality, max aperture, etc. Almost all manufacturers have a 'pro' line (L for Canon, EX for Sigma) and comparing a pro line lens to a non-pro line lens doesn't make sense. These are all features which greatly affect price and performance

While it's difficult to get a true side-by-side comparison, in lieu of that it's probably a pretty positive indicator if you search forums for various models and see a lot of positive recommendations from different people. You can also do searches on PBase by lens I believe. The nice benefit there is you can see the quality of work produced by the lens in action.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:44 AM   #5

well I was only ever trying to get your attention John.

now I have...

Buy Canon, Canon, Canon, its an LLLLLLLLLLLLL of a better lens.

Which everyone knows.

:blah:
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Super Moderator

LOL :lol:
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:50 PM   #7

LBoy that's not true ..LOL
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
LBoy that's not true ..LOL
Actually, Imacer, then why did you ask the originalquestion which isvery broad and general. So the broad and general answer is - Canon. Especially in the context that you have a Canon body.

Andyes itis true. You can argue about the exceptions but not the rule in this case.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:54 AM   #9
NHL

I collect all 3 major brands Canon, Minolta, and Nikon, - They all have some good and some bad, but in the 70-200 f/2.8 I can tell their newest SSM lenses are the best in this category (they don't need IS it's in their bodies)! It's also the latest to be released just last year as compared to the older Canon's, but they also happen to be one the few companies that pay attention to design in the 'Bokeh' in their lenses from the start...
I also have Sigma, Tokina, Vivitar Series 1, and a couple of Hasselblad and Bronica too so don't tell me which lenses are the better. Some folks just see no further than their brand blinder :lol: :-) :G

Like JohnG say it's hard to compare the L against the EX or other high-end lenses because they are all excellent, but it's much easier to fault the entry level lenses against the higher priced counter part. Several examples:

o The Sigma 70-300 APO for one completely overwhelms the Canon 70-300 IS USM (and al...) in optical quality and at only a fraction of the cost!
o The Sigma 100-300 f/4 zoom is practically a prime - just check its MTF's against the EF-300 f/4!
o ... and many more!

You don't buy in general, but you always pick a particular lens that fit you the best - Actually buying into a general perception may be the wrong thing to do...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:55 AM   #10

hoho happy-days.

Ihad justcaught a JohnG and threw him back, when along comes a bigger NHL fishy to the hook.....

:blah:

No seriously NHL, we all know your the Goddaddy of the lens world and have three Sigmas for breakfast washed down with a glass of MTF every morning,

So your probably 100 percent correct.

But we are talking aboutthe very general question here, and only three manufacturers were mentioned, so lets not change the thread question please.

Quote:
I only refereed to the very general and vague question above in terms of using the camera specified. I gave a very general, but stillgenerally true answer when comparing Canon to Tamron and Sigma across the board.

Quote:
I also have Sigma, Tokina, Vivitar Series 1, and a couple of Hasselblad and Bronica too so don't tell me which lenses are the better. Some folks just see no further than their brand blinder

Again - top of thread needs to be read again.. :-)preferably with out blinkers also.

Sure theres arguments too for plentyindividual lens from all these brands.

What is exciting is the current developments thatstaking placefrom all the manufactures in stepping up to the plate regarding lens design. Can only be good for all I reckon.

Anyway. No offense, but its a daft thread.

Imacer,

If you could be a bit morespecific with regardto a certain range of focal length,I'm sure I could do my best in steering youtoward your own littlepiece of photographic heaven.

Heaven and L, the only time the two are neither a contradiction in terms....... :lol:

LB. x