Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 11, 2005, 5:58 AM   #11
Super Moderator

i agree... the 17-85 is very versatile and will serve you well as a walkabout lens..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:50 AM   #12

Thanks to all of u for ur advices,I am now totally convinced about the Canon 17-85 mm USM IS and by next month I am going to have one.

I would also like to know that how this lens matches with the Canon 350 D.

Thanks U all

Sudarshan Sen

:cart:

sudarshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:43 AM   #13
Super Moderator

it matches perfectly with the 350d... no worries...

enjoy, -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:11 PM   #14

Hi Dustin,

Thanks 4 ur reply.

Can u tell me one thing that why Canon equiptments are expensive than the Nikon?While both are producing same quality products and same technology.

I would also like to know that which brand you prefer the most.

Thanks

Sudarshan:arrow:
sudarshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:43 PM   #15

I have three of the lenses discussed here, the Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 18-125 and the Canon 50 mm MkII f/1.8. All three are nice lenses for what I want/need.

The 17-85 IS produces great images. I bought it used five months before buying my Rebel XT. My wife has a 300D with a Tamron 28-300 Di and initially had no desire to use the 17-85. Over the last couple of months she started to use it more and more (largely without my knowledge) and began to like it more and more. When I bought my Rebel XT last week and (re)took possession of MY 17-85, she strongly suggested thatone of us should look for another walk around lens. I've always believe that to be successful in a marriage, a husband can choose to be right or he can choose tobe happy.As a result of this philosophy, I went shopping for a new lens and selected the Sigma 18-125 and I'm happy. Also, we haven't had much opportunity to use the IS, but it appears to work quite well.

The Sigma 18-125 is quite new to me and I haven't had a lot of opportunity to give it a good test yet, but so far it has done a nice job. The advantages of the Sigma over the 17-85 are primarily its size, weight andprice (and to a lesser degree zoom range). On other forums there have been suggestions that non-Canon lenses don't focus as fast on the Digital Rebel bodies, this may be the case for certain cameras with certain lenses, but my 18-125 seems to be as fast as the 17-85 on my XT. From my limited experience, the Sigma is quite sharp through the zoom range, but I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons yet. My other camera is a Canon Pro1, which is a marvel of size, weight and image quality - which has whetted my appetite for small capable cameras with good zoom range and at least part of the reason I like the Sigma.

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is a very sharp lens and is available at a really excellent price. Oddly, it sometimes produces err99 messages on my wife's DREB, but I haven't tried it on my XT yet. I was raised on zoom lenses and this is my only prime, but it is worth keeping in your camera bag.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

John
NorthVan is offline   Reply With Quote