Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:48 PM   #1

I'm looking at Sigma's 24-70mm f2.8 lens in Sigma's web site. According to this: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=2 the name of the lens is "24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO". Does anyone know if there are different versions of this lens with or without macro? I read in a few forums that although it says "Macro", it's not really a macro lens. So what's the real story? What makes a macro lens a macro lens?
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 5:20 PM   #2

The answer is on the link you posted
The 24-70mm has a Maximum Magnification of 1:3.8 it gets close, but it is not macro.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:39 AM   #3

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking at Sigma's 24-70mm f2.8 lens in Sigma's web site. According to this: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=2 the name of the lens is "24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO". Does anyone know if there are different versions of this lens with or without macro? I read in a few forums that although it says "Macro", it's not really a macro lens. So what's the real story? What makes a macro lens a macro lens?
There are only 2 versions of the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 made. The older version was discontinued last Fall 2004, and the new one came out. For Canon mount, the old version is #546101 and called "EX DG DF". The new version is #548101 and called "EX DG Macro". Both lenses have the "DF" [dual focus] mechanism for AF/MF access, but they ditched it in the name for the new version; it still has it in function. There are cosmetic changes as well as seemingly better optical performance from the new version; I've had both. As for "Macro", this is only a marketing thing. They are identical in their magnification ratio (1:3.8) and minimum focusing distance (approx 15"). So both, IN PRACTICE, have the "DF" mechanism and the same "macro" abilities (though not true macro lenses); it's only in theirNAMES did Sigma remove DF from the new one and added Macro. I have the new version and it is one heck of a lens. Best wishes.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote