Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:07 AM   #11

There are issues when using the Sigma flash in multi-flash setups. These problems seem to happen when used with Canon or Sigma flashes. If you haven't already I suggest you hold the Sigma in one hand and the Canon in the other and just consider the materials and finish.
csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:52 AM   #12
Super Moderator

eh? same material, similar finish... i am not sure what you are talking about there..

and i have had no problems with my sigma used with other sigma's, canon 580s, 550s, or 420s..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:51 AM   #13

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
eh? same material, similar finish... i am not sure what you are talking about there..

and i have had no problems with my sigma used with other sigma's, canon 580s, 550s, or 420s..
Just how many other Sigma 500's and Canon 580's, 550's and 420's do you have? I guess you have at least one of each to be able to make the above statement. If one would check the forums under the subject they will find there are some real issues. Even used as a single flash the Sigma mis-fires at times. Sigma flashes and lenses are know to have problems with Canon's cameras and understandably so. Quan Tran asked for advice and I was directing my comments to him. I have 3 Canon EX flashes and do use multi-flash often, I adjust the lighting ratio (main, background, fill) using a flash meter and don't want any mis-fires. As for differences in build quality it is quite apparent to me.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:52 AM   #14

Thank you very much for your kind advice gentlemen! I've made up my mind for the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM to get rid of the griefthe 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM currently gives me! When I have another accumulated save, I'll get the 17-40L to throw away the 18-55mm kit. :lol:

I am now consideringto get a flash. The 580EX isbeyond my budget. The Sigma EF-500 DG Supercosts $250 USD and the Canon Speedlite 420EXcosts $220 USD. Which one is worth the buy?

Regards,

Quan
Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:56 AM   #15

csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
Hards80 wrote:
Quote:

Just how many other Sigma 500's and Canon 580's, 550's and 420's do you have? I guess you have at least one of each to be able to make the above statement. If one would check the forums under the subject they will find there are some real issues. Even used as a single flash the Sigma mis-fires at times. Sigma flashes and lenses are know to have problems with Canon's cameras and understandably so. Quan Tran asked for advice and I was directing my comments to him. I have 3 Canon EX flashes and do use multi-flash often, I adjust the lighting ratio (main, background, fill) using a flash meter and don't want any mis-fires. As for differences in build quality it is quite apparent to me.

Hmmm...I have both a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX HSM and a Sigma EF-500 DG Super. I don't experience the problems you're describing. I'm using a Canon 20D.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:58 AM   #16

Quan Tran wrote:
Quote:
I am now considering┬*to get a flash. The 580EX is┬*beyond my budget. The Sigma EF-500 DG Super┬*costs $250 USD and the Canon Speedlite 420EX┬*costs $220 USD. Which one is worth the buy?

Regards,

Quan┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*
Some may suggest the Sigma gives more "bang for the buck" but the issue is not power but mis-fires and inaccurate metering. Although discontinued, the EX550 can be a good buy on the used market (eBay).
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:20 AM   #17
NHL

csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
Some may suggest the Sigma gives more "bang for the buck" but the issue is not power but mis-fires and inaccurate metering...
The camera do the metering - The flash just fired at the level dictated by the camera

Inaccurate metering happens when a person don't understand how a flash/camera metering works - This happen with any flash including Canon own brand, just check some older postings... most are due to user inexperience

If any the Sigma recycle quicker than my EX550 - I have two Sigmas and 1 EX550 working together in master/slaves, the EX550 is always the last to come up ready...

Misfire - I haven't had any - but the Sigma's can sync directly with my studio lights a feature lacking on all Canon's though (the Canon's doesn't fire at all then)! :-) :lol: :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:09 PM   #18

I have 3 Sigma lenses, 3 canon lenses, the sigma 500 dg super and the canon 420 flashes, all used withmy 20D and 300D rebel. I have never experenced any miss fires with the sigma or, the canon flash for that matter, nor any auto focus problems or any other problems with any of my lenses. I'm I lucky? or just the norm, I tend to believe I am the norm, and the problems are with just a select few.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote