Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:14 AM   #1

Hello folks,

I am in a dilemma that I can't decide on a new lens for my 20D. I just have a budget of around $700 USD to get some more stuffs for my 20D. My current equipment consists of the following:

Canon 20D body, Canon lens50mm f/1.8 mk II, Canon lens kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM (for Japan market), Canonlens 75-300 f/4.0-5.6 USM, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1

I intend to spend the money in buying one of the following items that I am puzzled andcan't make up my mind:

1. Canon Speedlite 580EX costs $390 USD

2. Canon lens EF 17-40mm f/4L USMcosts $700 USD

3. Canon lens EF 70-200mm f/4L USM costs $650 USD

Most of my photography hobbies are a bit of everything: landscape, indoors, people and wedding (never done before but want to try out).

I have another offer whichalso makes meeven more confused. That is the Tamron lens 28-75mm f/2.8 that costs $400 USD.

Therefore, I would much appreciate it if you guys can stop by and give me your expert advice to get the best equipment which ultimately can produce worthy pictures. Without solving out these problems, I'll probably be sleepless.:-)

Regards,

Quan

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:57 AM   #2
Super Moderator

if you do not already own an external flash... get one.. now..

seriously though, you can get a sigma 500 dg super flash for about half of what you pay for the 580ex and it will nearly everything the canon will.. not only that it is wirelessly compatible as a master or slave with both other sigmas and the canons..

with the money saved, and your budget, you still have some room left over for a decent lens..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3
Super Moderator

No dilemma at all -

Based entirely on your work over in the "Post your photos" section of the forums and you definitely need a good super-wide and perhaps a nice "wide/normal" prime for documentary style shots.

I'd recommend you look at:

1. EF-S 10-22mm USM
2. Sigma 12-24mm EX DG

3. EF 28mm f1.8 USM
4. Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX HSM

I'd love to see what you could produce with the 10-22 and the 28mm - I don't think you should bother with the flash for now.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i would also look at the tokina 12-24 f4.0 if you are going to go superwide... right now its the sharpest and handles distortion the best.. plus it is built like a tank, pretty sure it could take a bullet and keep on working just fine..
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:40 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i would also look at the tokina 12-24 f4.0 if you are going to go superwide... right now its the sharpest and handles distortion the best.. plus it is built like a tank, pretty sure it could take a bullet and keep on working just fine..
It's not available anywhere in the UK; even the UK photo magazines haven't had a sniff of it.

But by all means if you can find one add it to the list. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:19 PM   #6
Super Moderator

hmm.. i have seen it advertised in outdoor photography and photography monthly.. so i am assuming it is coming to the UK.. it just hasn't made it there yet in stores?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:47 AM   #7

Hi Dustin and Peripatetic,

Thank you very much for your advice. Actually, I don't trust Sigma products as I once used their lens but this lens produced unacceptable result: washed-out color, no contrast and no warmness. Moreover, I don't want to use 3rd party products this time. I'd rather have few equipment but good than a backpack with full of low value items.

Anyway, I've already decided and faxed my order to Canon distributor to order one off Canon lens EF 70-200mm f/4L USM. I was told the stock will arrive in ten days.

Did I make right decision? If you were in my situation with the current equipment, how would you spend $700 USD wisely.I still have time to cancel myreservation so would much appreciate it if you guys can give me some more strategic advice to solve out this problem. :?

Regards,

Quan

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:21 AM   #8

Quan,

I'm arriving late to this thread, but I notice from your current equipment that your two lenses are pretty much replacements for existing lenses. While both lenses are indeed upgrades over your current equipment, you have to ask yourself:

What is it about your current lenses that you find lacking?Which of the 18-55 or 75-300 is causing you the most grief?

My personal strategy is to cover areas I am missing before upgrading existing areas - which in your case would be the flash. But that asumes you can live with your current lens lineup a little longer (long enough to save up the $380 you'll spend on the flash).

If you are set on replacing a lens - look over your photos for the past year - what focal length do your pictures show you are shooting at the most (can often be a bit different than we remember).

There is no bad answer - the equipment you're considering is all top-notch but you need to decide if upgrading is more important than filling a gap. Only you can answer that question.

My last piece of advice is - whatever you end up ordering - don't look back and second guess yourself. Enjoy your new gear!

John
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:25 PM   #9

Quan,

I had the same experience with Sigma lenses, but I decided to give the EX line a fair trial. I just bought the 70-200 2.8 EX, and I amazed at the quality. It is very sharp, and the colors are perfect. I had shot with a friend's "L" lens in the same zoom range, and the Sigma performs just as well in every way, from what I've seen.

Obviously, you can't go wrong with Canon L glass, but if you haven't used Sigma's EX lenses, don't base your opinion of them on their older stuff. I was skeptical of the great reviews, but now I am a believer. I got the lens for $735.00(including shipping), by the way. Good luck with whatever you get.

Rick
ricktaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:25 PM   #10

I was in the same situation. So what did I end up with?

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX HSM from ebay. Used 20 times at the most (according to the seller).When I actually got the lens, looks like he wasn't lieing. - $545 shipped.

Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash -Brand new from a camera store who sells in ebay - $185 shipped.

No regrets whatsoever. At first when I got my 20D, I told myself I would only buy Canon brand stuff for it...but after a bunch of research, I ended up with a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and the Sigma, together with my 18-55 kit lens and Canon 50mm mkII. I sold my Canon 75-300 IS USM lens to pay off the Sigma...excellent "cheap" upgrade for me.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote