Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:12 PM   #1

I've seen numerous posts from folks looking for a good telephoto lens for Canon. I found a good buy on the Sigma 100-300 so decided to purchase and compare to my 70-200 f/4L. I absolutely love the size, weight, build and sharpness of the Canon and was hoping it would blow away the Sigma. If anyone is interested, here are some comparisons between the Sigma at 300mm and the L +1.4TC (280mm) as well as 200mm comparisons. All shots are 100% crops taken in daylight from a monopod. No sharpening or post processing except cropping and resizing. The subject in a very cooperative wildlife specimen (stuffed leopard). After numerous similar comparisons with consisten results, I think the Sigma looks pretty good.
Attached Images

Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:13 PM   #2

Here are the 200mm comps.
Attached Images

Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:31 PM   #3

There is no doubt the 100-300EX is one excellent piece of glass. It's MTF chart and images prove that. One thing though with your test shots: be careful with concluding too much from your shots as it is very easy for the AF sensors to pick up the contrasty green grass and not the face of the stuffed animal. Hence, you could have a front-focus issue (though not the lens' fault). I'd try some other subjects that will stand out more definitively. I think you'll still find the 100-300EX impressive (as impressive as the 70-200 f4 is also, at least according to MTFs).
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. As previously stated, I have done numerous other comparisons with consistent results. This particular subject is representative of my other results. AF is set to center spot (20D) and the focus is on the eye of the tiger (or whatever). I'm pretty impressed with this lens except for the size and weight which will take getting used to.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:02 AM   #5

Beginners stupid question: what's the value of the test with the 1.4x TC:??

I thought it would make any lens rather worse, and you lose one stop, no?
polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:41 AM   #6

Hi,

What are you focusing on. The eye ? doesn't look that way..?

The only thing I see in focus is the grass, and strangely at f8 in the very last shot - the grass is not even in focus...... ?????? but it is at f4 / / / ???

Tests Test tesssssssss ssss ssss sss snorrr

Sorry bout that.

I have my doubts about your findings. While I probably not argue too much when combining with a 1.4x (ok yes I would). I can tell you straight.... The 70-200 f4 is as sharp a lens at this range as you will find - hands down. Sharper than my 70-200 f2.8 IS. (3 times the price)

A stuffed toy if a terrible subject if you really have to make these tests - use something that can help the camera be a little more consistent.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:49 AM   #7

I'm a relative beginner, but wouldn't a test be more accurate using a tripod rather than a monopod? Aren't most lenses sharper at f/8 than f/4? I find it strange that the last shot is so soft.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Super Moderator

yes... a tripod is really a must.. i missed that in the original message.. and LB is right, the focus is all over the place as well..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:08 PM   #9

Sorry all, I was just trying to show a comparison between two options I was considering. I re-shot the original tests (this time with tripod) and edited the original post. I must eat some crow here and say that the difference isn't all that great. In fact, The Canon color is a little better IMO. I chose the stuffed animal because I was looking for a comparison shooting wildlife but real wildlife is not as cooperative. I also have to say that the originals (in both tests) look much better before cropping, resizing and compressing for this site. Took this today at 300mm handheld. I'm still well pleased with the Sigma.
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:24 PM   #10
NHL

Humrme wrote:
Quote:
... Took this today at 300mm handheld. I'm still well pleased with the Sigma.
Me too...
They told me I need @ least an L, then IS is a must... and TC is a no no - This was shot handheld with a 2xTC at 600mm: :blah:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote