Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 13, 2005, 7:42 PM   #1

I was shopping around for the Rebel XT. I have an older Elan and several EF-USM lenses. I was told that they're compatible, but the only thing is the zoom range is shifted by a factor of 1.6... The guy didn't seem too competent, so I don't know whether I believe him or not. What I'd like to do isordera body onlineand use the lenses I have... Is this shifta big deal? Should I get the kit camera with the 18-55 lens?

I'm hoping someone can give me the rundown on any drawbacks with using the EF lenses on the XT.

Thanks!
Jimg1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:34 PM   #2

It's a double edged sword Jim.

Yes, the Rebel XT, Original Rebel, D30, 10D, D60 and 20D all have a 1.6 "crop value" due to the fact the physical size of the sensor is that much smaller than a 35mm negative, so do the math:

14mm= 22.4mm on a Rebel XT
17mm= 27.2mm on a Rebel XT
18mm= 28.8mm on a Rebel XT
28mm= 44.8mm on a Rebel XT
70mm= 112mm on a Rebel XT
200mm= 320mm on a Rebel XT
300mm= 480mm on a Rebel XT

I think you can get the deal here- wide angle lenses are at a premium on digital bodies due to the fact an 18mm equals no better than a 29mm lens on a 35mm film camera. On the other hand, a 70-200mm zoom is the equivalent of a 320mm lens on the long end. Good quality wide angle lenses, like the 17-40L and 10-22 EFS lenses are expensive because it ain't easy or cheap to make a good one. If you cannot aford one like one of those two then yes, you need the 18-55 EFS or one of the third party maker lenses. There is no drawback to using an EF lens. Indeed, if you ever think you may want to graduate to a larger sensored body you need to ONLY buy EF lenses, because all these "digital only" lenses won't cover the entire sensor area on a camera like one of the 1D series of cameras, and don't think you'll never do that. Some big things seem like they are about to pop on that front in the next few weeks from Canon.

Same principal on all these teeny, weeny digicam sensors. Ever wonder why a digicam with a zoom has to start at 7mm on the wide side to give you a 35mm semi-wide look? Because the sensors are pinky sized.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! I went with the kit with the 18-55 but sort of wish I went with the 17-85 kit instead... I'll live with the lenses I have for now, but I'm developing a wish list a mile long...
Jimg1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:06 PM   #4

Mine is two miles! Today it isn't just a matter of equipment want lists to take all those pictures with, but processing hardware and software costs always seems to dig into those equipment purse strings all the time. Let's see.....new tele zoom or PhotoshopCS2 or more RAM?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote