Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 13, 2005, 8:47 PM   #1

i've been looking at the canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM lately and was wondering if anyone here has had experience with it or can offer some suggestions. I'm looking for a good zoom lens, not too much, but not too little, and the low 2.8 aperture attracted my attention. I have a canon 75-300mm 3rd generation lens but it's image quality and build quality are nothing to gloat about. it also does not have internal zoom and focusing which is a minus. i'm using a 20D btw, any suggestions and/or help is appreciated. Thanks.

michael
www.pbase.com/mikej86
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 8:56 PM   #2

Hmmm, IIRC, there are a few people who have this lens. It seems decent enough...:blah:
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:00 PM   #3

IIRC ??? what do you mean?
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:07 PM   #4

in addition to my original question, i just was browsing and came upon the 70-200mm f4L USM lens, this one is considerably cheaper at 569 USD, whereas the f2.8 model would run me about 1200 USD. i think i might just go with the f4 version to save the money... any thoughts?..

michael
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:13 PM   #5

johnsonM86 wrote:
Quote:
in addition to my original question, i just was browsing and came upon the 70-200mm f4L USM lens, this one is considerably cheaper at 569 USD, whereas the f2.8 model would run me about 1200 USD. i think i might just go with the f4 version to save the money... any thoughts?..

michael
Sorry Michael. First, IIRC means "if I recall correctly". Second, the 70-200L lenses are some of the finest tele zooms, period. The f4 lens is very good optically but might be limiting in certain conditions. It is good in plenty of light and has a nice lighter weight vis-a-vis its f2.8 older siblings. I use the IS version which is about $1650. You can get the non-IS for about $1100. However, if you don't go with the IS version, I'd recommend you STRONGLY look at Sigma's version, the 70-200 f2.8 EX DG APO HSM. It's about $750 and performs very well.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:39 PM   #6

thanks for the advice! i think i'm going to go with the canon 70-200mm f4 as i probably wont need the low light conditions and even if i do i can jack up the ISO. i've stuck with canon for a while now and have become i guess a dedicated customer of their products. thanks for the information, i'll try to let you know how the new lens goes when i get it and post a few pics as well!

michael
www.pbase.com/mikej86
Old Aug 14, 2005, 1:54 AM   #7
Super Moderator

the 70-200 f4L is a superb lens.. it doesnt have the lowlight/action capabilities of the 2.8s but its image quality is outstanding, particularly the color and contrast which are just outstanding.. plus its relatively small and portable.. it should serve you well..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 2:02 AM   #8

thanks dustin, appreciate the input, do you own this lens? if so could you provide some sample shots? i've seen a billion online but i'd like to see some of yours if you have 'em.

michael
www.pbase.com/mikej86
Old Aug 14, 2005, 2:16 AM   #9
Super Moderator

na.. i don't own it myself.. but several of my friends in our photo club here in st louis do own this lens and their images are outstanding... and i have had the chance to play with it a bit, its very well made too..

if you have your heart set on this lens.. you can forget about needing examples... every copy of this lens i have seen or heard of has been good..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 2:22 AM   #10

thanks, i just can't justify spending 1200 for the extra f-stop, and the added weight! considering i'm not doing contracted sports photography or anything like that. I think i will get this lens, gonna be ordering it monday hopefully, will have it by the end of the week and i'll let you guys know how it goes. as cliche as it sounds, i think i've cought the "L" bug like many people. once you go "L" it's hard to go back! :?

michael
www.pbase.com/mikej86