Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:41 PM   #1

I am about to purchase a Digital Rebel XT. Probably 50% of my shooting isbasketball games in gymnasiums without flash

I want to purchase a lens to go along with the kit lens to use for shooting basketball games as I described above. I want the ability to zoom in reasonably close to my subject should I desire. My seats are approximately 65 feet from the floor. I am looking for crisp pictures understanding that I am shooting is tough conditions; low light and action shots.

My current camera is a Minolta Dimage Z3 with 12x optical zoom. While shooting gamesI occasionally use the full zoom, which is nice if I need it, most of the time I am probably zoomed to the equivelant of 4 or 5 x

My budget is under $275.00 for the lens. I have my eye on the EF28-105 f 3.5 - 4.5 II USM lens I might be inclined to spend a little more for a better lens and I prefer to stay with a Canon lens.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:09 PM   #2

The Z3's focal range is 35-420 (12x) mm. The 28-105 is 45-170 mm on the XT, so you'd be losing a lot of focal length, it's maximum is about 5x on the Dimage. I'd suggest a 75-300, but one they aren't the best optical quality and two, they are pretty slow for an indoor sporting event. Optically, the 28-105 3.5 lens if quite good. For about $230, it's a very good lens.

There's also the 35-135(link here), which would give you 56-215 mm, but I'm not familiar with the quality of the lens. Here's some shots with it, http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_35-135_4uthat you may or may not find useful...even some indoor sports ones here: http://www.pbase.com/delbert/phs_wresting
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:28 PM   #3

Hey thanks a bunch for the reply

To get a useable image in my conditions with the Dimage, I have to make alot of compromises and do alot of editing and use a noise reduction program. Its not a very practical solution and I get marginal results after alot of work. Here are some samples: http://gallery124815.fotopic.net/

I am not that concerned with giving up the focal length because as I said, I dont use all of it that often, and I think the focal length on that lens would work out fine for the majority of what I shoot. Also, with an 8mp image I have lots of room to crop if I need to get in closer.

I looked at the images and they dont look bad at all. You have certainly given me something else to think about, or at the very least caused me to have an item on my Christmas wish list.

I wish there was a way to rent a rig and try these things out beforehand!
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:34 PM   #4

Well, if you're going to save up for something, save up for the 70-200 f4/L, relatively fast and wonderful optical quality, but also close to $600.

One good thing about the XT is that you can go up to 400 ISO with pretty much no noise and even 800 isn't horrible. In addition, if you shoot in raw mode, you can increase the shutter speed a bitto make sure there's no blur and then adjust the exposure in your raw conversion program, which usually works pretty well.

Also, if you're getting the kit lens with your XT, sell it after you get the new lens (you likely won't need it for the small amount of extra wide-angle it gives and you can recoup probably $70 or so for it on ebay. That's what I did when I got my 17-85mm lens.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:40 PM   #5

Oh man, and Dell has the XT on sale big time, too.

Here's the link to there listingfor it for $900, plus there are coupons for 20% off (3CP428PCG?BRMS)and an additional$60 off (JQWFN3RR7NJ?F5)...with that much money saved, you could right to the 70-200 f4/L maybe even.

And, many camera places will allow you try lenses before you buy. My local camera store does. I sometimesgo in, try a lens and take the pics home to see how they look.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:50 PM   #6

wow wow wow

Im about 3 months away from my purchase. I can only hope this stays around for that long!
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:58 PM   #7

I looked at it and New Egg is a better deal.

Dell charges state tax and I can get the kit from New Egg, who doesnt charge state Tax, for 5 bucks less. Shipping is only 12 bucks too, so at theend of teh day I come out ahead/

If I buy the body only, the camera is only 780. The llens we first spoke about is only 233 on Amazon so I think thats the best deal.

If you have never used New Egg before check them out. They rock