Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:13 PM   #11

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
as NHL alluded to earlier, many people sell these lenses after they get more serious into this hobby and realize the image quality is just not there.. and you will not get your money back, therefore, its really not that great of value...

regard, -dustin

I'm one of those "many people". The only thing I liked about thislens is that it does hold its resale value very well. That's how I was able to pay off my Sigma 70-200 EX lens when I sold my Canon.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:26 AM   #12

Thanks Dustin for your advice and i have taken all on board but i have now only to try for myself as i have ordered one. I am very very new to this game, only just gone up to an SLR and very green when it comes to the lense department! but with guys like yourself will learn (sometimes the hard way). 18 months ago i new nothing really about photography and have had to really self teach by books, forums, and generally getting out there and snapping! as their is no photography clubs etc around here, so all the advice given is greatly appreciated. Oh i have had my second picture published this week so im slowly getting there.(sorry had to add that). Once again, thanks. Bev.
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:37 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Bev,

it sounds like you are on the right track if you have your 2nd shot published in only 18 months.. congrats indeed..

please feel free to submit some of your work in the critiques and techniques section.. we have a good group in there and its a great place to get some very directed advice on how to improve your shots...

regards, -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:21 AM   #14

Hi Dustin, thanks, and will put some in that forum later. Bev.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:15 AM   #15

I was told last week that there is a new IS version available in September as my dealer tried to find out about one for me. His Canon info is usually reliable

Trevor
trevor222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:08 AM   #16

That will be interesting let us know when you know more please. Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:33 AM   #17

Wouldn't it be great if they replaced the current model with one that is actually sharp?! Oops, Hards already said that...but wouldn't it?
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:21 PM   #18

Not only sharp, but fitted with a RING instead of MICRO USM. Then again, if they added all that it would probably be at leasta $700 lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:45 PM   #19

Oh wouldnt it be great!but il soon seeif all the downs on this lense is reawhen mine arrives. i use the 75-300 1:4-5.6 ll USM quite abit and although not the worlds best, iv been happy enough, just want to upgrade to IS.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:00 PM   #20

Well, I guess it is the new 70-300 f 4.0-5.6 with third generation IS but still a micro USM, no doubt to differentiate it from the DO lens. Looking forward to some reviews and impressions.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote