Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:13 AM   #11
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I also think the 50mm f1.8 is very over-hyped. I have owned one for 6 months; it had great novelty value for about a week and it's not been on my camera since. The 80mm EFL makes it essentially useless indoors except for tight portraits and outdoors I always use the 17-85 in preference to it. I think the 17-85 is actually sharper at the tele end and usually a better portrait option in good light. I believe the MTF charts don't obviously contradict this assertion.
I have to agree with our wise peripatetic here - Ain't no way technically:

50mm f1.8 MTF:

even against the 18-55 kit lens let alone the better spec'ed 17-85 IS !!!

18-55 USM II MTF's:

-> At f/1.8 the 50mm is actually worst, only @ f/8 where the two lenses are then on parity on sharpness

The 50mm f/1.8 is an excellent portrait lens and that's all it is because of the marked defocus that comes along the shallow DOF. A 'digital' zoom (any 'digital' zoom) is much better for general use... Again check the MTF and don't trust what people like(believe) to see or read :?

There's a misconception somewhere that primes are sharper than zoom - This may be true 20 years ago, but no longer apply to modern zooms. Most zooms are now sharper than their antique primes - Again just check the MTF's... also when reading reviews, note their published dates...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65 :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:55 AM   #12

Again, some people are forgetting why primes (are and forever will be) used and extensively still desired by many photographers. They provide a much larger aperture per given focal length which allows faster shutter speeds in low light conditions. Plus they provide isolation for the subject with pleasing OOF. The small difference in sharpness will not be noticed asin general any shot from your DSLR will probably need a touch of sharpening from PS. So just use 20 percent more sharpening.. big deal.

You wouldn't play golf with just a driver, so why would you compare lenses only in terms of sharpness ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

baffled by the constant drumbeat...

ps I'm not promoting the suggestionof the Canon EOS 28-105/3.5-4.5 USM and the 50mm 1.8prime. I would agree with the idea of the 17-85 ISand either the 70-200 f4 Lor the 70-300 DO as a better two lens combination in response to the original posters question.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:14 AM   #13
NHL

LBoy

... and I agree since I have a few primes myself. But when I don't know what I'll be shooting I rather carry an all purpose fast zoom... and quite satisfied by the quality shots they put out. You've seen some of my images yourself (@ close distance the 120-300 f/2.8 have even less DOF at 300 than my 85mm f/1.2 with really pleasing OOF as well!) - :-) :lol: :G

BTW the original poster asked only for two lenses - including macro
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:36 AM   #14

Yip I understand the original question and addressed this at the end of my post.

Was just clarifying for anyone reading (and unfamiliar with such things) so as not to be put off the primes availableout there,the actualreasons why primes are very beneficial.

Anyway if the poster is considering any indoor stuff without wanting flash its not an altogether silly suggestion actually for a very low outlay.

Take care.

Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:34 PM   #15

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
You wouldn't play golf with just a driver, so why would you compare lenses only in terms of sharpness ?
You are correct, but two points, if you will.

If you could take two clubs only, which would you choose?

Let's stick to the question asked. If it's time for another discussion of primes vs zooms, you should probably start a new thread. This guy wants to have two lenses to take pictures on vacation, and he wants to be able to shoot flowers and bugs.

I suggest a 7 iron and a putter.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:05 PM   #16

Hmmm... I could probably get by with a 5-iron and a putter.

Shot with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and a 36mm kenko tube (no crop):

Attached Images

limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:27 AM   #17

Driver and 9 iron,

:-)
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:27 AM   #18

Driver and 9 iron,

:-)
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:03 PM   #19

[*]Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilised USM lens [/*][*]Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilised USM lens [/*]
as recommended in the UK by the main camera shop with many locations all over the place (as one of the possible combinations):

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...7-b1e927416fa4

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 1:37 PM   #20
Super Moderator

well the UK shop is wrong.. the 75-300 f4-5.6 is a dinosaur.. the optics are poor and IS is first generation..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote