Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:49 PM   #21

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
Driver and 9 iron,

:-)
Not bad. You putt with your driver? Or does your second shot always go in the hole?

wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 3:25 PM   #22

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
well the UK shop is wrong.. the 75-300 f4-5.6 is a dinosaur.. the optics are poor and IS is first generation..
Well maybe on the version of the model itself, but the combination 17-85mm& 75-300mm is a common one that gives a very good range, or?
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 3:48 PM   #23
Super Moderator

its true that it is common and it covers a useful focal range.. but common doesn't always mean the best.. if you would replace that 75-300 with a nice 70-200 f4L, you cover much of the same focal range with much better image and build quality.. sure, itsa little more money, but is worth every penny..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:25 PM   #24

Yes, and as I understand it you could still add the 1.4x tc and be at 98-280 f5.6 if you so desire, since the 70-300 tops out at 5.6 anyhow.
limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:37 PM   #25
Super Moderator

yea.. the 70-200 f4L works quite well with a 1.4x TC..
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:42 PM   #26

Although the NEW 70-300 is no dinosaur...

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=11922
limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:23 AM   #27
Super Moderator

limbiksys wrote:
Quote:
Although the NEW 70-300 is no dinosaur...
the imagequality is yet to be seen... it looks awfully similar to me.. the new IS will be nice, but if that front still rotates during focusing i am going to be very disappointed in Canon..
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:10 AM   #28

Thanks for your help, everyone! I ended up getting the 17-85 and the 70-200 4L. The latter is AMAZING - I'm so happy with it. The 17-85 I'm not sure about - see my other post about CA. I also bought the 50 1.8 for indoor use - it was just so inexpensive - but whether it gets used will remain to be seen. :-)
aschlabach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:17 PM   #29

NHL wrote:
Quote:
peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I also think the 50mm f1.8 is very over-hyped. I have owned one for 6 months; it had great novelty value for about a week and it's not been on my camera since. The 80mm EFL makes it essentially useless indoors except for tight portraits and outdoors I always use the 17-85 in preference to it. I think the 17-85 is actually sharper at the tele end and usually a better portrait option in good light. I believe the MTF charts don't obviously contradict this assertion.
I have to agree with our wise peripatetic here - Ain't no way technically:

50mm f1.8 MTF:

even against the 18-55 kit lens let alone the better spec'ed 17-85 IS !!!

18-55 USM II MTF's:

-> At f/1.8 the 50mm is actually worst, only @ f/8 where the two lenses are then on parity on sharpness

The 50mm f/1.8 is an excellent portrait lens and that's all it is because of the marked defocus that comes along the shallow DOF. A 'digital' zoom (any 'digital' zoom) is much better for general use... Again check the MTF and don't trust what people like(believe) to see or read :?

There's a misconception somewhere that primes are sharper than zoom - This may be true 20 years ago, but no longer apply to modern zooms. Most zooms are now sharper than their antique primes - Again just check the MTF's... also when reading reviews, note their published dates...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65 :idea:

Give me a break, NHL. If you think that the kit's performance is anywhere near the 50, you're smoking something. This is so out of line with reality, that I'm actually getting upset! Do the tests, read the charts properly, and don't spread misinformation.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 6:02 AM   #30
Super Moderator

Madwand

I'm curious to know whether you actually own these two lenses?

I can't see why you'd be upset over the possiblity that a $100 zoom which is specifically designed to take advantage of the smaller sensor could match the performance of a plastic $70 prime at f8.

[ Take it as read that both lenses need to be stopped down, the kit performs not at all at f1.8! And that we are talking about the performance out to 13mm from centre because once again the kit is rather poor 25mm out.]

For those of us who clearly don't understand MTF charts perhaps you could point out in detail why the MTF of the 50mm is so much better than the MTF of the 18-55 @ 55.

Because frankly I can't see it in the chart and I can't see it in the photos. (I do own both those lenses.)

From what I can see the 10lp/mm curve on both is essentially the same, perhaps 0.01 or 0.02 advantage to the 50mm.

The 30lp/mm curve is above 0.8 for the kit, and varies between 0.8 & 0.9 on the 50mm - a slight advantage.

The thin-dashed (meridional?) are clearly better on the 50mm, but as I understand it the effect on the photo is simply that this makes the OOF areas rather less pleasing to look at - i.e. worse bokeh.

So yes, the 50mm has a very slight advantage - how about I take a couple of photos, remove the exif data and you tell me which lens is which.

From how outraged you seem to be I could surely expect odds of 5:1?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote