Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:51 PM   #1
CPV

Hello.

I am brand new to Digital SLR's. Haven't used an SLR since highschool (although not that long ago, I have forgotten nearly everything)

I have purchased the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and some questions on the lenses.

What I plan to do.

Portraits (not from a professional level... yet)

Most Highschool sports. I will be along the sidelines for these

Nature shots, 100yds+

I stumbled upon on Opteka 650-1300mm on eBay for around $200... yay or nay? Also a listing on eBay for two Sigma Lenses, 70-300mm and a 28-70... both of those lenses for $200 total. Would those three lenses cover my current wants?

If not, What would be the best lenses for the buck for those three? I want something that is great, but doesn't cost alot. (I can't believe I am saying that. I normally hear that atleast 5 times a day). But yeah, I don't want the cheapest lenses out there, nor the most expensive, as I am a beginner into all of this.

Any help you guys and/or gals would be able to give, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Jordan
CPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:56 PM   #2

I'd stay away from opteka, in general they aren't exactly high quality lenses, not that there aren't happy customers out there. Not to mention that at that enormous of a focal length, a tripod will be absolutely essential for nearly every shot, even in bright light where you can increase the shutter speed. If I recall correctly, those opteka lenses also are f/8 as the largest aperature, which is going to kill it for anything but very bright lighting or long exposures.

IfI were you, I'd go with the Sigma 18-125 DC ($230 or so) and the Sigma 70-300 APO DG ($200)lenses. They're both pretty good and will cover pretty much any range you'd need, except the huge focal lengths beyond 480mm. Don't forget that on the XT, you multiply the lens's focal length by 1.6, so the 70-300 is really 112-480 and the 18-125 is really 29-200mm.

Then, spend any other money on a flash, UV protective filters for your new lenses, a tripod, a large CF card, extra battery, camera case, etc...
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:53 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i agree with G35.. though you better work on your spot and stalk skill because 100+ yards is just not going to work for nature shots..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:51 AM   #4
CPV

Thank you very much for your input.

Thisis a listing for two lenses, Sigma 28-70mm & 70-300mm AF Lens Set For Canon EOS / EF for $190 shipped. I know the 28-70is not the one you had suggested, but is that the 70-300 that you were talking about? If so, this lot seems like a pretty good deal.

Especially when comparing it to Sigma 28-70mm & 70-300mm AF Lens Set For Canon EOS / EF. Are these two lenses the same thing?

I would still plan on getting the 18-125, but might as well get the listing for two lenses (assuming that lense is the same one)

Please let me know.

Jordan
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:59 AM   #5
NHL

It's not!

The new 70-200 APO DG has a RED ring and comes with case and hood!
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:08 AM   #6

This is where it gets confusing for people who are newer to modern lenses.

Sigma has several 70-300 lenses on the market. The one in that auction is the 70-300 DG Macro. It's a good lens, relatively sharp and fast enough for many situations. I've been happy with the APO DG version of it for wildlife photography. The only downside to the one in the auction is that it isn't an APO lens, so in bright light with high contrastyou will see some chromatic aberration (which usually shows up as light purple fringing on the edges of bright spots), but that may not be enough to bother you asit's nottoo badon that lens.

However, the 28-70 lens is not very good. Although it is fast at f/2.8 which is great, it is known for barrel distortion in almost the entire zoom range, which I think you'll not like. It's MTF chart is scary!

I have no problem recommending the 70-300 in this package, but I think you'd be unhappy with the 28-70.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:46 AM   #7
CPV

So in the auction for the two lenses, the smaller one is basically worthless, and might as well jump $20 more to get to the one with the red-line?

What is APO?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:02 AM   #8

APO stands for Apochromatic. It's a special type of glass used in the lens to eliminate the purple fringing problem. For $20, I'd definitely move up a little. The last thing you want is to go take some pictures and think to yourself that you just wasted $200 b/c you're not very happy with the quality.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:47 AM   #9

I recently purchased the two Sigma lenses you are referring to in order to try them out just as a comparison. ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*The 28-70mm rarely gets used since I have an 18-70mm Nikkor lens.¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*I have used the 70-300mm quite a bit. It is not as high quality as the¬* Sigma 70-300 APO lens. ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*If you are going to be enlarging the photos you might want the APO.¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*But, it is an excellent beginner lens kit for the price if you take care of it.¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*If you would care to see some of the photos the camera & lens are listed, feel free to visit my gallery:¬*¬*http://mac-tracker.dyndns.org/gallery ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*haans
haans _gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:19 PM   #10
CPV

What kind of flash should I get for this?

Also, when kind of filters?

Can you point me toward a good site for these.

The CF card, will probably be a Transcend 2gb, 80x

CF is preferred over microdrivers for speed and reliability, correct?

Thanks again for all your help!

Jordan